The Brewer Who Quit Drinking Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading a fair bit lately about how meals, any time of the day, can spike blood sugar levels and insulin production and hence fat storage. It seems highly recommended to exercise (a rigorous walk for 20-30 mins is enough) within 30 minutes of eating a meal to curve that spike, that's my latest 'thing' to try! I need to do more reading, particularly science/evidence based reading.

I wonder how much beer spikes blood sugar, or perhaps it's the 'complimentary things' we do when drinking that's the problem?!

You're on the right track mate, and it's refreshing to see someone who's not complacent about their health.
Unfortunately, beer is pretty bad for insulin (alcohol & sugars), but so are a lot of things. On the other hand, fasting induces the exact opposite reaction :)

I went dry for 6 weeks a year ago and the physical benefits were great, sleep improved massively, lost a bit of weight but I'm within bmi anyway , felt overall more optimistic so my mood improved, saved money and generally felt much more energetic. But having said all that I felt that I had denied myself too much enjoyment and felt bored. So I guess like most things balance is the key. Going dry for a while certainly helped me reduce my intake and maintain it, (most of the time :))
Yeah I gave up beer/alcohol for a year once. The benefits were pretty satisfying but then I do like beer an awful lot so I have a couple a day now and don't go overboard. Keeping OK for an old codger.

I reckon in a general sense we eat our meals backwards. A lot of people seem to eat **** all for brekky, whatever for lunch, then have a huge dinner and sit around doing practically nothing for the rest of the night. And then they wonder why they put weight on. Be better off having a big brekky and a small dinner.

I put a bit of weight on when I was working late shifts because most of my eating was done from the late arvo onwards, dinner was at some stupid hour like 9:30pm. Then I'd go home and have a beer or two and snack on some chips while watching TV until 2 or 3am. Once I got back on normal hours and stopped doing that, it dropped off again.
Yeah a big breakfast is the way to go with smaller meals during and at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back