The Bag For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbasten

Reaction score
Hey, just a quick one. Where can i buy the bag for BIAB. I am in WA and would like to purchase one big enough to be 23 L batchs

Thanks
Tim

Hey, just a quick one. Where can i buy the bag for BIAB. I am in WA and would like to purchase one big enough to be 23 L batchs

Thanks
Tim

hi tim,

i think most of the sponsors at the top of the page sell them, or the other option is to go to spotlight, lincraft, or other fabric retailer and ask for Swiss Voille. I think it's pronounced "voyall".

It looks like a really tightly woven white curtain, and it's pretty cheap. You can buy it buy the metre length, get someone to stitch it into a bag, or just use the fabric without "making it" into a bag shape. Use a few pegs to hold it to the edge of your brewing vessel.

Easy as...

Thanks
Tim

hi tim, i got mine from craftbrewer.com.au 24inch by 24 inch for $7. dont know how much postage would be to your address.

Hey Tim, normally gryphonbrewing sells them but they appear to be out of stock. On the weekend I got more swiss voile to make a new bag from Spotlight. Depending on where u are located in Wa but Cannington had loads but midland had zilch. If u head to the curtain section you will find it there.

Gryphon brewing bag... temp out of stock but i'm sure that they'll be making more soon.

Or as i did the first time i did a full vol BIAB. Just a big square of voile 1 square meter is fine for a 50L pot.

The Craftbrewer bag is excellent for smaller BIAB and I use them as a hop bag pegged around the top of the urn so the hops can swim around in their own little swimming pool (chuck in a couple of metal cutlery spoons to weigh it down in the middle).
However they are too small for a full size BIAB in an urn, they may fit a shorter wider pot e.g. larger stocky gas heated.

I would endorse the Gryphon bags - I have two and one of them has done over 60 brews and going strong. Nev's Mum / Aunty / Gran (unsure) runs them up expertly so I expect she's just still in the sewing room making up the next batch.

:)

Great, thanks for the advise. Just 1 more thing, whats the best way to clean them?

I rinse under tap both sides then stuff the bag into a jug of strong warm nappisan solution, leave overnight then rinse well and hang out next morning.

Great, thanks for the advise. Just 1 more thing, whats the best way to clean them?

Just empty the grain into garbage bag or compost. Hose out any grain bits left in the material, then as Bribie does, bucket of warm napisan overnight. Rinse and hang on the line. Good as new.

I used to use the washing machine until the water charges soared. You know you are hooked on BIAB when you absent mindedly put in lavender scented fabric softener on the last rinse :p

Just empty the grain into garbage bag or compost.

Make sure you do this the same day. Don't just leave it in a bucket like I did the other day.

Finished up late on Sunday night and couldn't be assed cleaning up so I left the spent grain sitting in a bucket (I tip it from the bucket into a garbage bag).

Left the bucket sittiing in the nice warm carport all day. When I came home from work to clean up.. Whoally Crap :icon_vomit: The entire carport stunk like a massive festering burley factory....

If you're buying your voile from Spotlight, ask for Swiss Voile.

If you're buying your voile from Lincraft, ask for Suva Voile.

Make sure you do this the same day. Don't just leave it in a bucket like I did the other day.

Finished up late on Sunday night and couldn't be assed cleaning up so I left the spent grain sitting in a bucket (I tip it from the bucket into a garbage bag).

Left the bucket sittiing in the nice warm carport all day. When I came home from work to clean up.. Whoally Crap :icon_vomit: The entire carport stunk like a massive festering burley factory....

Nice work. Ill take note of that :p. Atleast I can learn from other peoples mistakes

Turn it inside out, hang it on the line, put your hose onto spray mode and stick it inside the bag ie hose it out from the inside. You might get a bit wet if the wind is blowing the wrong way, but nothing like those poor b..s in NQ are going to cop over the next couple of days.

Back