Temperature Control Fridge/freezers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a brewing fridge with a separate freezer.

Can anybody tell me if when using the tempmate to control the temperature at around eg. 20 degrees, does the freezer work independently and still maintain freezing temp or does it warm up to match the fridge compartment?

Thanks ans Cheers

I know my freezer will not freeze when my fridge is being kept at ale temperatures.

I think most fridge freezers are the same.

The only exception is if you had a fridge with 2 separate compressors which are rare I believe.

I know my freezer will not freeze when my fridge is being kept at ale temperatures.

I think most fridge freezers are the same.

The only exception is if you had a fridge with 2 separate compressors which are rare I believe.

As the vast majority of domestic Fridge/Freezers have just the one compressor, the short answer is no..

The temp controller becomes the primary source of power for the fridge based on the temperature from your probe- it effectively overrides the thermostat for both the fridge and freezer..

If by chance your fridge does have two compressors, it is indeed possible to control the fridge compartment independantly by re-wiring the fridges own internal circuit through your temp controller.

Obviously requiring a bit of technical know-how to do so...

Hope this helps.

The freezer will probably go to something more like a regular fridge temperature, but you'd need to measure that and see.

I've had my fridge set to 18 deg for the last week fermenting a wheat beer, I keep bottles of ice in the freezer (used for wort chilling) and these were thawed out.

Normal fridge temp should be 4 deg, freezer is supposedly minus 18 deg, I assume that differential is something less than 22 deg in my case, must be less than 18 deg, but it will vary from fridge to fridge.

Thanks guys

I thought I might be able to use the feezer to store leftover hops as I getting more than subtle hints to move them out of the main freezer. I'll just have to buy smaller amounts but at least I'll a good turnover of fresher hops.

Cheers

Can I ask how you are controlling the temp?

I have just bought a spare fridge for my fermentor and have research a bit and am going to get a thermostat controller... One of the ones that you plug your fridge into and then plug the controller into the power socket.

My question is does the controller turn the fridge on and off at the set temp or does it just turn it on once it gets too high?

Anyone recommend a controller that they use and also where they purchased it from?

Cheers guys!

Camo

I have just bought a spare fridge for my fermentor and have research a bit and am going to get a thermostat controller... One of the ones that you plug your fridge into and then plug the controller into the power socket.

My question is does the controller turn the fridge on and off at the set temp or does it just turn it on once it gets too high?

Anyone recommend a controller that they use and also where they purchased it from?

Cheers guys!

Camo

The controller will turn the fridge / freezer on and off depending on the parameters you set.

Alot of guys use this one.

Controller

Cheers, Mat.

Would something like this work? I'd probably end up killing someone playing around with 240V (or hell, even the casing), and this looks pretty plug and play. It is even reversible (so can be used to power a heating element in winter and fridge in summer).

I'd be looking for one a little cheaper if I can, but when you take convenience, dual use, and not having to buy other parts into consideration it's not too bad.

Would something like this work? I'd probably end up killing someone playing around with 240V (or hell, even the casing), and this looks pretty plug and play. It is even reversible (so can be used to power a heating element in winter and fridge in summer).

I'd be looking for one a little cheaper if I can, but when you take convenience, dual use, and not having to buy other parts into consideration it's not too bad.

That would work. Don't know how long the probe wires are though. Looks the same as some I've seen at HBS. It's 10A rated too.

Looks like it would also work for a hydro setup in your basement... :p Is it really for your beer?????

That would work. Don't know how long the probe wires are though. Looks the same as some I've seen at HBS. It's 10A rated too.

Looks like it would also work for a hydro setup in your basement... :p Is it really for your beer?????

Haha! That'd be one way of paying my brewing costs - I'm afraid not though. Though apparently the cops keep an eye on people buying hydro equipment. Just as well I'm not growing my own hops <_< .

This is what I'm using and it works fine. Not hard to fit. Fit it between the plug and the fridge and it's not rocket science.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...9#ht_4243wt_905

Cheers guys!

Camo

I bought a Tempmate from Ross and once you've got it wired up (directions are on this forum), it works a treat. I've wired it to heat and cool and works at -+ 5 degrees.

Cheers

I'm guessing that +/- 0.5 degrees?

I have an stc1000 temp controller. Relatively easy to wire up yourself and just find an electrician to check it over before you use it.

My freezer works fantastic in the summer and pretty good in the winter with a fridgemate attached, and set to 5 degrees

I'm guessing that +/- 0.5 degrees?

I have an stc1000 temp controller. Relatively easy to wire up yourself and just find an electrician to check it over before you use it.

Sorry, a bit of a typo there. Yes it's +/- 0.5 degrees. I think you can lower that margin even further but I thought it might put too much of a load on the fridge and compressor.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back