Tastes Like Banana :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE-opening.

I used WLP-022 (essex ale) at 18 degrees for 5 days, down to FG and its now CCing, it tastes like a banana lolly. Very annoying. Will it benefit from being brought back up to ferment temps for a while? or is best to just bottle and and bottle condition under the house for a while?

Is this yeast know to do this at such low temps?

I had actually just re-tasted this batch which had been sitting nice and cool under the house (in Hobart through Winter/Autumn) and the banana has faded, but not as much as I would like. In any case, my batch is still disgusting!! Some traces of vinegar notes developing now :icon_vomit:

Have tipped out many to harvest bottles over the months but will keep a handful to test now and then out of interest.

Well I didn't put banana in! It was an extract brew with DME, Maltodextrin, and 120gm of 120 Crystal. I brewed for the first 7 days at a steady 20C using SAF-05. I did raise to 24 later on slow rise over a few days though...

I have used US-05 in some ales a couple of times and fermented in a temp fridge around 22 deg, but with temp fluctuations +- 2 degrees on my controller it may have gone higher. The resulting beer has a slight banana flavour also which is still present after 6 weeks n keg.. My current fermeinting wort is set to 18 degrees so i will see what happens

RE-opening.

I used WLP-022 (essex ale) at 18 degrees for 5 days, down to FG and its now CCing, it tastes like a banana lolly. Very annoying. Will it benefit from being brought back up to ferment temps for a while? or is best to just bottle and and bottle condition under the house for a while?

Is this yeast know to do this at such low temps?
Can't find any reference to banana flavours coming from the use of this yeast.
Nige

Back