Tap Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Going to do my third AG on the weekend. I have just made by Electric HLT which i am planning to use. It will be a 3 tier gravity system I will be using.

Previously I used to used filtered water (fill a 30L cube from Kitchen) and used my boil kettle as my HLT. So lifting the cube and pouring it was not to bad (1m off the ground)

Problem now is the HLT will be around 2+m off the ground and lifting it up there would not be fun.

I could get a pump to pump the water up to the HLT. (just a cheap little one)

or

Just fill it up with the garden hose.

The water will not be boiled in HLT it will be on a timer and the MashMaster controller preset ready to mash.

Do people use water straight from the garden hose?

Cheers,

Youngy

I use water from my rain water tank through a new hose just for brewing and it doesn't effect the taste
if i was to buy another hose i would just by a food grade caravan style hose from bunnings a bit dearer but probably worth it

I've filled with the garden hose for years with K&K, & have continued with AG.

I think as long as the connections are clean & you run the "standing" water out of the hose to eliminate surprises, shouldn't be a problem.

Have recently modified my HLT / bucket'o'death so that hose fitting snaps onto the ball valve, easier & drier than running a hose above head height & much easier to control.

Good luck.

Mark

Hi all,

Going to do my third AG on the weekend. I have just made by Electric HLT which i am planning to use. It will be a 3 tier gravity system I will be using.

Previously I used to used filtered water (fill a 30L cube from Kitchen) and used my boil kettle as my HLT. So lifting the cube and pouring it was not to bad (1m off the ground)

Problem now is the HLT will be around 2+m off the ground and lifting it up there would not be fun.

I could get a pump to pump the water up to the HLT. (just a cheap little one)

or

Just fill it up with the garden hose.

The water will not be boiled in HLT it will be on a timer and the MashMaster controller preset ready to mash.

Do people use water straight from the garden hose?

Cheers,

Youngy

I'd get a cheap aquarium pump (assuming you will be pumping cold water into HLT, then heating) and continue to filter to get rid of chlorine and other nasties. That will be an inexpensive solution, for what should theoretically result in better beer. The hose would be an easier solution, but more risk to beer quality.

I might just go the pump option.

Anyone knows where to get a cheap water pump? bunnigns etc.... It will be used for filling the HTL with cold water only.

Cheers,

Youngy

Why not make 2 or 3 trips to the kitchen with 10 or 15L?

Back