Tanunda Show 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi All,

Entries in by 4th March.
www.tanundashow.org.au
BJCP Registered and looking for BJCP judges and stewards for Judging on 7th Mar 2009.

HOME BREWED BEER SECTION HB

ENTRY FEE: $3.00

Entries close Wednesday 4th Mar 2009

All entrants will receive a FREE copy of Beer & Brewer Magazine

All entrants may collect their magazine from the home brew section on show day

Entries will be judged by a panel consisting of BJCP certified judges

Best Barossa Brewer - Engraved mash Paddle proudly donated by Beer Belly Brewing Equipment plus 12mth subscrip. to Beer & Brewer

This trophy will be awarded to the exhibitor gaining the highest point score total for their best five (5) beer categories.

Note: For the purpose of this award - only their top scoring entry in each of their best beer category will be considered.

Reserve Champion - 12mth subscrip. to Beer & Brewer

Best Mash Beer of Show Sponsored by Beer Belly Brewing Equipment

Engraved Tankard & $15 voucher from Brewmaker Holden Hill

Best Kit Beer of Show - Sponsored by Coopers

Coopers Beer Mat & $15 voucher from Brewmaker Holden Hill

Prizes in class:

1st: Stainless steel jacketed, personally engraved beer tankard

2nd: Coopers homebrew concentrate/merchandise from COOPERS BREWERY

3rd: Bee Sting Key Ring from BAROSSA VALLEY BREWING

BoD Medal ~ Beer of Distinction:~ All beer entries that receive an average score >42 points

Convenor: Luke Willis Ph: 0403 438 923

Judging Co-ordinator: Ken Jermey

With help from the Barossa Brewers Club

RULES:

1. All beers to be amateur brewed from a kit, modified kit, malt extract or full/partial mash allowed in all classes. No commercial entries accepted.

2. All entries to be clearly marked with class for entry, style of beer & name of entrant and mash for those entries that are full mash/All Grain. Entrants name will be covered before being blind judged.

3. Two bottles (stubbies or longnecks, glass or plastic) are required per entry. One for judging, and one for best of show (if qualified) for display/re-judging if first bottle opened is deemed bad.

4. Entrants must produce their entry form copy for collection of exhibits after 4.30pm Saturday (Show day). For entrants who are unable to pick up entries on show day, entrants MUST clearly mark on entry form where they will pick up entries within the next 2 weeks. After 2 weeks of non-collection, any prize moneys & certificates (incl. judging sheets) will be forfeited and their bottles & judging sheets will be disposed of.

A stamped self-addressed envelope will be adequate for return of judging sheets & any certificates & prize money, with the bottles remaining the property of the Show Society.

5. Beer will be judged with the standard 50 point-judging sheet with scores for Appearance (6 points), Aroma (9), Flavour (25), Mouth feel (5) & Body and Overall impression (5).

6. Entry forms, bottles & fees can be delivered to:

Luke Willis C/O Rockford Wines, Krondorf Road, Tanunda
Brewmaker, 5/560 North East Rd, Holden Hill;
Ken Jermey, Lyndoch, AH: (08) 8524 4542
Bottles must accompany entry form before closing date & No late entries will be accepted.

All entries will be treated with care.

7. Convenor & Judges reserve the right to:

reclassify entries into other classes as deemed fit/appropriate;
split or combine classes with respect to number of entries received;
Award only 1st place if entries in Category are 3 or less,
Award only 1st & 2nd place if only 4 entries in Category.
Judges & Convenors decisions are final & no correspondence will be entered into.

Tanunda Show Categories & Styles 2009

Proudly Supported by Beer & Brewer Magazine

Full show categories, guidelines, entry forms, bottle labels are available from www.tanundashow.org.au

Go to www.bjcp.org or www.anawbs.org.au or www.sabsosa.com for more details on style guidelines.

Category

Styles (Beers can only be entered in the listed Styles avail. from the website)

1. LOW ALCOHOL

(< 3.5% abv)

Light Aus. Lager, Light Wheat, English Standard Bitter, English Mild

(Must Specify the Original Gravity and Finishing Gravity)

2. BRITISH & IRISH ALE

English Special Bitter, English Extra Special Bitter, Irish Red, English Pale Ale Scottish 70/, English Pale Ale

Proudly Sponsored by Andale

3. PALE ALE

Aus. Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, American Pale Ale, American IPA

Proudly Sponsored by Beer Belly Brewing Equipment

4. DARK ALE

Aus. Dark, American/English Brown, Brown/Robust Porter

Proudly Sponsored by Greenock Dark Ale

5. STOUT

Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal Stout, Foreign Extra/Australian Stout, Imperial Stout, Russian Imperial Stout.

Proudly Sponsored by Tanunda Cellars

6. STRONG ALE (>6% abv)

Old Ales, Barley Wines, Belgian Dubbel/Tripel, Belgian Golden Ale, Strong Scottish Ale

Proudly Sponsored by Andale

7. LAGER & STRONG LAGER

Aus. Lager, Prem. Aus. Lager, Munich Helles, German Pilsner, Bock and Strong Lagers

Proudly Sponsored by The Tanunda Hotel

8. WHEAT BEER

Aus. Wheat, Berliner, Weizen, Dunkel, Weizen Bock, Belgian Wit

Proudly Sponsored by Barossa Valley Brewing

9. FRUIT & OTHER SPECIALTY

Fruit, Smoked, Wood-aged, Speciality, Spiced, Winter

(Must Specify the fruit, herb, spice, vegetable, smoke or other details on label)

If you are unsure which category your beer will best fit in to please contact Luke Willis ([email protected]) or on 0403 438 923 or Ken Jermey on AH: 85244542

Full show categories, guidelines, entry forms and bottle labels are available from www.tanundashow.org.au

Cant find entry forms or bottle labels on the website, where should i be looking??

KHB

Cant find entry forms or bottle labels on the website, where should i be looking??

KHB
Entry forms and labels are on the show website www.tanundashow.org.au On the front page click on entry forms then Home Brewed Beer and there is a downloadable pdf.

The show is open to all amatuer brewers not just residents of the Barossa so I encourage everyone to have a go and put something in. To members of the Adelaide Mash Brewers, let's see if you can mix it with the boys from the Barossa! We need a little friendly rivalry. For members of the Barossa Brewers Club we still need stewards for judging day, Saturday 4th March at the Tanunda Hotel, food will be provided.

Cheers
Luke (Convenor) B)

Entry form shows Beer style example as 3.1 Australian Pale Ale, but the list given in original post does not show sub-numbers for the sub style.

On the entry form should we just put 3 Pale Ale?

Found it Linky

Entry forms and labels are on the show website www.tanundashow.org.au On the front page click on entry forms then Home Brewed Beer and there is a downloadable pdf.

The show is open to all amatuer brewers not just residents of the Barossa so I encourage everyone to have a go and put something in. To members of the Adelaide Mash Brewers, let's see if you can mix it with the boys from the Barossa! We need a little friendly rivalry. For members of the Barossa Brewers Club we still need stewards for judging day, Saturday 4th March at the Tanunda Hotel, food will be provided.

Cheers
Luke (Convenor) B)

What times are the judging see if i can get time off work to get there

Entry form shows Beer style example as 3.1 Australian Pale Ale, but the list given in original post does not show sub-numbers for the sub style.

On the entry form should we just put 3 Pale Ale?

Found it Linky

If you follow that link and scroll down you will see all the categories and sub-styles listed as per the example. So Australian Pale Ale should be listed on the entry form as 3.1. The original post here just listed the styles as a rough guide, please follow the guidleines as listed on the show website here click on Home Brew Beer.

Cheers
Luke

What times are the judging see if i can get time off work to get there

We'll start pretty early, probably 8.30 for a 9am start, and try and be finished by 1ish depending in the number of entries.

1. Is the Tanunda Show open to interstate brewers as well, or just SA brewers?

2. Will prizes be sent out to interstate entrants? I ask for clarification because the rules state that:

".......... After 2 weeks of non-collection, any prize moneys & certificates (incl. judging sheets) will be forfeited and their bottles & judging sheets will be disposed of".

1. Is the Tanunda Show open to interstate brewers as well, or just SA brewers?

2. Will prizes be sent out to interstate entrants? I ask for clarification because the rules state that:

".......... After 2 weeks of non-collection, any prize moneys & certificates (incl. judging sheets) will be forfeited and their bottles & judging sheets will be disposed of".

If you are goog enough to get a placing you can correspond with me. You pay any postage costs etc etc etc and I will organise to get it to you.

Cheers
Luke (Convenor) B)

Put me down for a volunteer.

Andy (aka BYB)

If you are goog enough to get a placing you can correspond with me. You pay any postage costs etc etc etc and I will organise to get it to you.

The show is a local event but is not restricted to interstate entrants. I can arrange to send out prizes if required.

Put me down for a volunteer.

Andy (aka BYB)
Cheers Andy, if you're available the Friday night me and Smurto are gonna judge a couple of the smaller classes. The more the merrier, I let you know more details when I have them.

Luke

The show is a local event but is not restricted to interstate entrants. I can arrange to send out prizes if required.

Cheers Andy, if you're available the Friday night me and Smurto are gonna judge a couple of the smaller classes. The more the merrier, I let you know more details when I have them.

Luke

Put me down for the friday night to

KHB AKA Ben

Just a heads up for those interest for all of those who are interested in entering the Home Brewed Beer Section in this years Tanunda Show.

Entries close this Wednesday the 4th of March so hurry up and get you entries organinsed and sent in you have no time to waste.

Entry forms, bottles & fees can be delivered to:
Luke Willis C/O Rockford Wines, Krondorf Road, Tanunda
Brewmaker, 5/560 North East Rd, Holden Hill;
Ken Jermey, Lyndoch.
Bottles must accompany entry form before closing date & No late entries will be accepted.

I'd like to throw a challenge out to all you Adelaide Brewers to come up and have a crack at beating SA's Kaisers of Krausen, the Barossa Brewers on their home turf.

Good Luck to all who enter :icon_cheers:

Well guys and girls, entries for this years Tanunda Show close on Wednesday and the entries are flowing in now from both Adelaide and Barossa brewers. We have received some amazing support from a lot of companies like Wyeast, Joe White, NZ Hops and Bintani as well as Beer & Brewer so it'd be great for as many "local" brewers as possible to have a go and enter your beers. Feedback from judging is to help all of us become better brewers so regardless of your experience/setup/brew style or whatever, there is still time to put in a few entries. Entry forms and bottle labels are here. As murcluf said entries can be dropped off at the above listed places. So come one & all, put your beer in and have a go, you never know you might actually win!

Cheers :beer:

Well guys and girls, entries for this years Tanunda Show close on Wednesday and the entries are flowing in now from both Adelaide and Barossa brewers. We have received some amazing support from a lot of companies like Wyeast, Joe White, NZ Hops and Bintani as well as Beer & Brewer so it'd be great for as many "local" brewers as possible to have a go and enter your beers. Feedback from judging is to help all of us become better brewers so regardless of your experience/setup/brew style or whatever, there is still time to put in a few entries. Entry forms and bottle labels are here. As murcluf said entries can be dropped off at the above listed places. So come one & all, put your beer in and have a go, you never know you might actually win!

Cheers :beer:

Would just like to congratulate Luke for the amount of sponsorship he has managed to track down and also to the mentioned companies.

Home brewing since I got back into it 4 yrs ago has really come a long way. So its no surprise to see companies like Wyeast, JW and Bintani throw out support. Here in the Barossa, the local brewers that I have known for years are beginning to realise there can be more to brewing than just throwing a can off the shelf and mixing it with water. Hell, this arvo I had a mate around who after tasting the fruits of my labour, wants to hire my AG system :eek:

Anyway enough about me (I'm starting to sound like GMK) Anyone who can, why not throw a few entries in.

BYB

Well, judging for the Tanunda Show was all done on friday night and Saturday. With 113 entries Tanunda Show is second to SABSOSA, so it's a big part of the SA homebrew scene and we hope to continue to make it bigger and better. It was a big slog thorugh all the entries and many thanks go out to all those who judged, stewarded and helped out. Thanks to Murcluf, BYB, KHB, Smurto, Alan, Steve, Kingy, Dave, Craig and all the staff and management at the Tanunda Hotel for allowing us to use their space and for providing excellent hospitality. There were some exceptional beers and of course a number of not-so exceptional beers too. Full results will be published later in the week.

Luke

Yeah i had a great time was good to judge aswell!!!!

KHB

4. Entrants must produce their entry form copy for collection of exhibits after 4.30pm Saturday (Show day). For entrants who are unable to pick up entries on show day, entrants MUST clearly mark on entry form where they will pick up entries within the next 2 weeks. After 2 weeks of non-collection, any prize moneys & certificates (incl. judging sheets) will be forfeited and their bottles & judging sheets will be disposed of.

Hmmm, I don't have a copy does it matter when I collect my judging sheets?

any info on when the judging sheets will be sent out? it was the 1st time i sent a beer into a comp and im dying to get some feedback, good bad or otherwise!

Lobo

Well, judging for the Tanunda Show was all done on friday night and Saturday. With 113 entries Tanunda Show is second to SABSOSA, so it's a big part of the SA homebrew scene and we hope to continue to make it bigger and better. It was a big slog thorugh all the entries and many thanks go out to all those who judged, stewarded and helped out. Thanks to Murcluf, BYB, KHB, Smurto, Alan, Steve, Kingy, Dave, Craig and all the staff and management at the Tanunda Hotel for allowing us to use their space and for providing excellent hospitality. There were some exceptional beers and of course a number of not-so exceptional beers too. Full results will be published later in the week.

Luke

Yep, great getting involved with the judging. Bloody hard slog getting it all over the line in respect to the judging. Hopefully we can give the BJCP guys a little more notice next year and get them up here (less than an hours drive fron Adelaide). Would be good for all others concerned to learn a little more. While we are on the subject of BJCP judges, does anyone know exactly how many are kicking around. ( BJCP judges that is) It would be good to get a list of contact numbers, early in anticipation for next year.
As can be seen by the number of entries yet again this year that brewing is becoming big bussiness. With the help and guidance of the experinced judges it can only be of benefit in promoting brewing.

BYB

Latest posts

Back