Taming The Wlp300 Banana

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
All,
Brewed with WLP300 a while ago, with the express intent of some serious banana flavour, and brewed at 25.

Found it to be overpowering. (did dissipate over time, but who wants to wait???)

Just did another on the weekend, and it has been fermenting @ 20-21. Will this temp allow for more cloves, less banana or am I still a few degrees high?

Fester.

I do my Hefe at 20C and find I get a nice balance of clove and banana

I have used WLP300 and WY3068 and have not found a noticable difference

Kabooby :)

Most people I know go for the warmer temperatures seeking that banana flavour.
Most people I know brew shit wheat beer. Yes that novelty banana ester is there but the beer has to be pleasant to drink! There is a reason German Weizen brewers have been following the 30 degree rule for hunderds of years, and that's because it works better than anything else.
I personally pitch at 13 and ferment at 17.

MFS.

Funny you should mention the rule of 30, I've constantly been told to use 12 and 18 which is the rule of 30.

I think I like the idea of fermenting at 17 instead and I'll have a crack at that for the next weizen I do.

Speaking of the rule of 30....

I was listening to an old BN archive with Dan Gordon, Jamil (I think) questions Dan if he follows the rule of 30 when they were discussing his Hefe. He had never heard of it. & from what I can tell he knows everything about german beer history.

Anyway he went on to say he always pitches 2 deg C below fermentation temp. I cant remember what that temp is tho :huh:

Speaking of the rule of 30....

I was listening to an old BN archive with Dan Gordon, Jamil (I think) questions Dan if he follows the rule of 30 when they were discussing his Hefe. He had never heard of it. & from what I can tell he knows everything about german beer history.

Anyway he went on to say he always pitches 2 deg C below fermentation temp. I cant remember what that temp is tho :huh:

I'm going to bet that's because the rule of 30 is meaningless to those who use the Fahrenheit scale.

There you go, Fester is a little more educated....

Having brewed this on using a rule of forty (pitched @ 20, fermented @ 20) I will use the newly learned rule of 30 for the next brew.

I will have to ride this one out and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up.

Fester.

...I normally pitch mine at 15-16c and let it work its own way up to 20-21c which it will do easily with heathy yeast...basically the rule of 37-ish...

...Cougar...

Rule of thirty means the temperature (in Celsius) of the pitching and fermentation temperature should add up to 30 degrees. For example pitch at 12 and ferment at 18, pitch at 14 and ferment at 16, do both at 15, etc...

For all you German Wheat Beer lovers Eric Warner's book is the best info available, including what all the commercial breweries do.

MFS.

I had a listen on my drive home & the mention of the 30 rule is on the sunday show archive 11/06/06 @ 1:51:40.

Basically he says he's never heard of it. nor any of the german breweries hes worked in using it.

He pitches @ 16, ferments @ 18 for their Hefe.

Plenty of great info on german lager & brewing technique on that show. Well worth the listen.

Rule of thirty means the temperature (in Celsius) of the pitching and fermentation temperature should add up to 30 degrees. For example pitch at 12 and ferment at 18, pitch at 14 and ferment at 16, do both at 15, etc...

For all you German Wheat Beer lovers Eric Warner's book is the best info available, including what all the commercial breweries do.

MFS.
Only up to 1992 though, unless your book is a later revision.

Still a great book! Includes recipes and mash schedules too.

Dunno, Lez, I've had it for at least that long :)
Great series, actually. Love the Pilsner and Pale ale ones too.

MFS.

*** UPDATE ***

Drinking the fruits of my labour now. I might like to add that there are few bananas in the fruit basket!

Fermented at 18-19 degrees throughout. Will try for the 30 rule next time.

Cloves have come through nicely. Tastes very similar to the wheat beer from the Buffalo Brewery in Booraham.

Fester is happy (and pissed)

Nightey Night.

I pitched a heffe on thursday with a vial of WLP300 at 20oc and it went off its nana on sat needed to fit a blowoff tube ,there was a nice banana smell coming out of the fermenter.
Quick question would the yeast from the krausen thats come from the blow off tube be ok to pitch/make starter for another batch of heffe

Franko

I Cant see no reason why not as long you collect it sanitary.

Indeed the top cropping yeast that blows off the top, after the hop resin gunk has come through, it at the peak of its energy reserves and in my experience takes off faster than the healthiest starter, provided you collect in appropriate conditions and pitch soon.

MFS.

Back