Talk To Me About Glacier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bond

Reaction score
I've found a couple of references to this hop variety on here,but limited info.read about it on BA forum and read the hop union file.

I want to hear from anyone who's used it,and what they thought of it.Ross, Kai?
When people say its lemony do they mean a typical overt citric (US) hop tang or is it a more subtle?
I'm looking for something a little different,but subtle that I could use in a weizen,and then an american wheat come summer.
Dave

Hi Dave,
I have made two pale ales with Glacier as the only hop, one is in the keg at the moment. For a 60 min boil the additions were 30g-60min, 15g-30, 20g-15, 25g-5min for 39.3 IBUs. I could not detect any lemony hints Dave, though I am no beer tasting expert. I guess it must be subtle.

cheers

Browndog

cheers BD ;)
Its lo cohumulone,so I'm guessing it was a smooth 39 IBU's.
Would you compare it to any other hop youve used or does it stand alone?

I made an all glacier APA last year and an APA with glacier to bitter and a mix of American hops for flavour and aroma. A very smooth hop as you'd expect from the low co-humulone level. I'm with Browndog on the no-lemon front, though I couldn't exactly describe the flavour well. :rolleyes: Not very helpful I know. But I liked the flavour of the glacier beers and recommend it. I'd say it'd be great for an American wheat. Possible in a weizen, but try the American wheat first and see what you think.

Edit: Did you read this Brewboard thread, BL?

Thanks for the info and the linky.

Looks like a goer for the spring.

My current American wheat is a combination of Liberty & glacier & my summer ale is a challenger, Nelson Sauvin, glacier combo - I was looking for lemony from the glacier, but to be honest i can't detect lemony as such, very nice clean citrusy taste that compliments the other hops well.

I get a lemon oil flavour from it as well as a hint of mint. It's not citrusy like cascade or its ilk, and very smooth almost to the point of sweetness in my experience.

Thanks for all the replys guys.You've been most Helpful.Looks like Glacier is on my "to do" list

Well...I finally got around to using this hop 2day.

Did a summer ale,

65% Trad ale
30% wheat
5 % glucose.

Centennial @ 60 min to 30 IBU
Glacier @ 5 min 1.5 gm/L

S04.

After batch sparging my 2 nd runnings I still had 2 litres extra of wort so i made up a 2 litre Glacier to the max brew for a trial.

60 and 30 min additions to 30 IBU, and another 2 gms @ 10,5 and 0 min.Pitched with a TTaylor split.
I got the idea from a thread of Weizguys and thought it would be a fun exercise for trialing new hops.

Updates in the future.

Jeez Dave,
You really were not in any mad rush to try Glacier hey hehe..glad you remembered the post though and will be interested to hear of the results.

cheers

Browndog

Jeez Dave,
You really were not in any mad rush to try Glacier hey hehe..glad you remembered the post though and will be interested to hear of the results.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks for the reply(as you were there at the beginning as well :lol: )
Story of my life really.Think about it ,get inspired ,ask advice,find new idea, ask advice, digress a hundred times.Do a brew and have this nagging feeling i've started a thread some time ago.Do a search and find my self here.

Looking forward to hear how both come out, Dave. Keep us updated.

I made an all glacier APA last year and an APA with glacier to bitter and a mix of American hops for flavour and aroma. A very smooth hop as you'd expect from the low co-humulone level. I'm with Browndog on the no-lemon front, though I couldn't exactly describe the flavour well. :rolleyes: Not very helpful I know. But I liked the flavour of the glacier beers and recommend it. I'd say it'd be great for an American wheat. Possible in a weizen, but try the American wheat first and see what you think.

Edit: Did you read this Brewboard thread, BL?

Fellas, Any idea where I can get some Glacier hops? Preferably in Melbourne, but am happy to get some by mail order from interstate.

Craftbrewer has them. Link near top of the page.

There I was thinking this was a new thread and I've posted to it twice. How's the beer coming along?

like a moth to a flame Kai. what is it with u and Glacier? Conceived your first kid due to a glacier laden brew?

Easy question, tangent. I like the taste.

Back