Taking The Plunge Into Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finally trying a lager for the first time. How does this recipe look?

Recipe: Czech Pilsner
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain BIAB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 30.68 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 93.46 %
0.35 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.54 %
40.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [6.30 %] (70 min)Hops 28.4 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [3.60 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [3.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 tsp Gelatin (Primary 4.0 days)
7.00 gm Polyclar (Secondary)
1 Pkgs Swiss Lager S-189 (Craftbrewer #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Mash at 66 degrees for 60 mins, then mashout at 78 degrees.

Not sure whether to pitch one yeast packet warm (at 20 degrees) then drop to 12 degrees once I get signs of activity, or to pitch cold (at 12 degrees) with two packets. Either way, I'm also planning on doing a diacetyl rest.

Also not sure whether or not to play with the water (never done that before with my ales). Perhaps I should use tank water instead of Redlands tap water (not sure of the specs - nobody does).

I like your recipe. If you want you can add some distilled or RO water to your own tapwater, thereby diluting the hardness. Try just 50% to be on the safe side since your tap water is unknown. Soft water has a variety of benefits to a pilsner type recipe. Have a read here - How pH affects brewing

Pitch your yeast at the temperature you intend to ferment at - if the temperature is reduced after pitching the yeast activity can be degraded.

I ferment my lagers at 9 degrees, I don't seem to get much if any diacetyl. If you can use both packs of yeast, do so.

Pitch cold and allow to ferment out. Then lager at 2c for at least the same time you fermented at.
Then carbonate and drink.

I like your recipe. If you want you can add some distilled or RO water to your own tapwater, thereby diluting the hardness. Try just 50% to be on the safe side since your tap water is unknown. Soft water has a variety of benefits to a pilsner type recipe. Have a read here - How pH affects brewing

Pitch your yeast at the temperature you intend to ferment at - if the temperature is reduced after pitching the yeast activity can be degraded.

I ferment my lagers at 9 degrees, I don't seem to get much if any diacetyl. If you can use both packs of yeast, do so.

Do you include a diacetyl rest if pitching at 9 degrees?

Do you include a diacetyl rest if pitching at 9 degrees?

Sometimes I will set the fridge to 16 degrees or so for the 3rd week of primary, but this is more in the name of attenuation than anything else. Other times I have left them in the fridge for 5 weeks or more, these are just as good. Really lagers are easy, you just need to keep them cold, pitch a lot of yeast and oxygen where applicable, and be patient. Do another brew while you are waiting.

Sort of on topic I guess. In regards to the diacetyl, once the "D" rest is done and the beer no longer has a noticable amount. Would the yeast have a diacetyl tastes? I tapped a Lager the other day that was lagered in the keg for a month and the first few beer just tasted like butterscotch, yesterday I poured a few more and the butterscotch has nearly dissapeared.

Latest posts

Back