T-58 Ferm Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Hi,

Using T-58 yeast for the first time and wondering what temperature and what characteristics you got when using it.
According to promash its 18.3 deg. Im making a belgian farmhouse ale and was wondering if it will be too subdued.

Cheers

Chris

I recently fermented a stout kit with T-58 at 21-22C. Found it boringly neutral at that temp.

I've fermented a wit at about 18-20C and a saison/blond thing where I pitched and fermented at ~25C because of a chilling incident and both turned out pretty well.

That said, don't expect it to give a particularly saisony/farmhousey profile. It's relatively clean by Belgian standards. It kinda reminds me of the beers from one of the bigger Belgian breweries but I can't think which one. Perhaps it's Leffe but I don't recognise it without all the cheap ethanol and sugary nastiness...

My one brew using T-58 was a great little number, have most the ingredients to put down another similar brew except SHMBO has kind of implied she would like to see less full bottles and more empty ones until we finish our moving early next year...

Cheers fellas,

What flavour profiles did you get? Fruity, estery, phenolic, peppery?

From the site that Steve buzzed up it likes 15-24, Ive got the fridge set at 18, I guess Ill see how this turns out. Its allready got a 1" krausen after 7 hours, with no rehydration into 24 wert. :blink:
I have a good feeling about this beer.

Awww shoot...just tossed, what I think is, the T-58 to my Wit for the chrissy case....got it set for 19oC

Should I bump up the temp????

Its the Belgian Ale dry yeast from Ross' Craftbrewer

Awww shoot...just tossed, what I think is, the T-58 to my Wit for the chrissy case....got it set for 19oC

Should I bump up the temp????

Its the Belgian Ale dry yeast from Ross' Craftbrewer

Bump it up Linz, get some funk in there.... :)

Wow,

Should have tried a plug for Ross in the first place, two minutes at 11.00pm.
I got the yeast thats meant to be very similar (identical) to T-58 from Ross too. Very impressed with the packaging and viability.
Ross what flavour diff will going to say 24 have on this yeast?
I know for instance 1214 goes a bit mental and over the top at this temp, whats your opinion?

Cheers

How high Ross???

20, 24, 28 ...????

Linz,

My reply was a bit tongue in cheek, I really don't have the experience yet to guide you on this one I'm afraid...

cheers Ross...

Well,

Looking at PoMo's comments I might risk it and jump for a HIGHER temp, around the 24 mark.

Was tempted to pull the fermenter out of the fridge as today is supposed to hit 33-38(more like 40 out here!!)

I used the T-58 yeast once at 24 degrees. It came out really peppery and had a weird sweetness. I gave everyone a taste of it at the brew day, Ross said it was ok. I Dont like it, but it depends on your taste buds. It definatle has got some funk if thats what your into. My experience is limited also.

How high Ross???

20, 24, 28 ...????

I'll be the guinea-pig. Put one down last night 1070 OG with a 1.5l starter. This morning the fermenter was sitting about 26 - I'm going to leave it there and see what happens!

The beer that vjval1974 made had plenty of Belgian character, - Considering he was making my Oktoberfest recipe & threw the T-58 in because he had no other yeast on hand, it's no wonder the taste came as a bit of a surprise. Personally i really enjoyed it & would happily use it in a more appropriate recipe.

cheers Ross

Well,

Looking at PoMo's comments I might risk it and jump for a HIGHER temp, around the 24 mark.

Was tempted to pull the fermenter out of the fridge as today is supposed to hit 33-38(more like 40 out here!!)

I've only pitched it once, Linz, and with a dark extract brew. Don't base any decision purely on my limited experience with it.

its all good.....Ive got it sitting on 22 ATM....see how we go..

Your right ross, after making that post yesterday, I tried one of those belgian-cross-oktoberfest beers and it was ok. I think that it needed time because the overpowering pepperyness had mellowed alot. Now Im impressed with this beer! Amazing what a little patience will do.

Brad

Back