Sweet Smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
Making a extract aussie ale at the moment. I just gave the airlock a sniff (yes, Im on of those sickos), it smells really sweet, almost like creamed corn.

I havent noticed this with anything Ive made before. Any ideas what the cause is? Perhaps the white sugar?

Recipe was:

2kg LDME
500g white sugar
200 caramalt
25g POR @ 60
coopers bottle yeast

Making a extract aussie ale at the moment. I just gave the airlock a sniff (yes, Im on of those sickos), it smells really sweet, almost like creamed corn.

I havent noticed this with anything Ive made before. Any ideas what the cause is? Perhaps the white sugar?

Recipe was:

2kg LDME
500g white sugar
200 caramalt
25g POR @ 60
coopers bottle yeast

You are a sicko? Why?

Sounds fine to me I suspect the white sugaz and caramalt with X? yeast could be the culprit. Have a taste if your at all concerned. But I suspect you'll be fine.

Chappo

Recipe was:

2kg LDME
500g white sugar
200 caramalt
25g POR @ 60
coopers bottle yeast

:icon_offtopic: Have given up sniffing the airlock since I started to ferment in a chest freezer. Bend down with head in said freezer, breath deep, almost pass out with lungs full of CO2 :blink:

Could be a combination of gas & flavours being expelled by the yeast, better out of the beer than in it. ;)

I am sure it shall taste great once fermented...

Could be a combination of gas & flavours being expelled by the yeast, better out of the beer than in it. ;)

I am sure it shall taste great once fermented...

+1 Ravs

But you just gave me a thought.

What temp are you brewing at JC.

I'm think diacetyl sometimes described as sweet corn, yeah?

Brewing at 18C.

Im not really worried about the smell - I think it smells fantastic. Reminds me of driving past sugar mills when I was a kid.

Anyway, I dont think its diacetyl given that its an ale yeast. Im really just more curious about whats causing it.

Oh no worries. Then stop ya bitchin' and get ya head outa the ferment fridge ya sicko! :lol:

Brewing at 18C.

Im not really worried about the smell - I think it smells fantastic. Reminds me of driving past sugar mills when I was a kid.

Anyway, I dont think its diacetyl given that its an ale yeast. Im really just more curious about whats causing it.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong please, but it's my understanding that ale yeasts will still produce diecetyl? As it's part of the character of some ales.

JamesCraig, how big was your starter? Did you aerate the wort well enough? This could cause the smells coming out of the brew, I agree with the others that it will be fine, the yeast will clean up after itself, I reckon once it's 90% fermented crank up the temp to 20 and let it sit for a coulpe of days, seems to work for me when I get these smells.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong please, but it's my understanding that ale yeasts will still produce diecetyl? As it's part of the character of some ales.

Yes, sorry I think I arsed up diacetyl with autolysis in my head somehow.

JamesCraig, how big was your starter? Did you aerate the wort well enough? This could cause the smells coming out of the brew, I agree with the others that it will be fine, the yeast will clean up after itself, I reckon once it's 90% fermented crank up the temp to 20 and let it sit for a coulpe of days, seems to work for me when I get these smells.

The starter was as big as it was when I pitched it - I dont bother paying too much attention to these things. It kicked off OK so I guess we can say big enough. Im guessing the wort was aerated enough - the bulk (c. 19L) of the wort came straight from a tap with an aerator fitted into a jug, then the jug poured into the fermenter.

Im not really worried about the smell, like I said, more curious as I havent noticed it before.

Can I point out here that DMS is commonly thought of as creamed corn, diacetyl is thought to be more like butterscotch.

I have an English pale ale going now using 1318 and it smells incredibly sweet, I am putting this down to fruity ester formation and perceived sweetness.

Can I point out here that DMS is commonly thought of as creamed corn, diacetyl is thought to be more like butterscotch.

Can DMS still come through if using dry extracts? Or is it more a problem with grains?

Back