Swamp Cooler/bath = Bacteria?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thylacine

Reaction score
Have infections been a problem for swamp cooler temperature control? eg. entry via fermenter's tap...

Currently have a t-shirted' fermenter sitting in a tub with a water level a couple cms ABOVE the fermenter's tap. The tap is rotated 180 (up) with bottle filler tube inserted & filled with idophor solution; glad wrap covering tube end. Vaseline applied to external of tap - ie thread area & on-off. Upon removal from tub, fermenter and bits will be cleaned and sanitised prior to bottling. (initial liquid will be disposed- ie. FG sample)

Ta...

Have infections been a problem for swamp cooler temperature control? eg. entry via fermenter's tap...

Currently have a t-shirted' fermenter sitting in a tub with a water level a couple cms ABOVE the fermenter's tap. The tap is rotated 180 (up) with bottle filler tube inserted & filled with idophor solution; glad wrap covering tube end. Vaseline applied to external of tap - ie thread area & on-off. Upon removal from tub, fermenter and bits will be cleaned and sanitised prior to bottling. (initial liquid will be disposed- ie. FG sample)

Ta...

I have just asked a similar question without having seen your post...sorry for the double up

You will be fine. I used to just put it straight into a water bath. Just spray the inside of the tap with Iodophor 10min before you use it.

Kabooby :)

Couple of drops of starsan in the water? Should keep the bacteria under control.

Mick

yep i used this method old fish tank, haps of water no probs at all i just give them a quick spray with peroxide b4 kegging and i waste the 1st 50ml just to b sure.

i ha dmor drmama with mold on my ferementer s when iha dthem in the chest freezer lol

A good dash on bleach into the water it sits in will help settle the worries.

Just add another dash every day to top it up.

Or any other sanitiser. ;)

Ta...

Just a little OTT mate. :)
Before graduating to temp controlled fridges I kept my fermenters cooled by sitting the fermenter in a water-filled storage bin with frozen water-filled milk containers added when required & an old beach towel draped around the fermenter & did it stink (The towel that is) after a few days! :p

Forget all the above & just spray the inside of the tap with a good quality sanitiser (I used Phos Acid) before bottling\kegging.

Sorry Marlow, Bleach is good in many ways for us brewers but the less used the better for the world. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

Thanks for thoughts to date. Recently bottled (Celtic Red Ale) and brew tasted OK. (currently following 2 full weeks primary then bottle) Another Ale now 'down' with swamp cooler maintaining 16 degrees easily. (S-05)

Bacteria concern is with respect to possibility of 'entry' via tap assembly. However haven't found any Goggle searches, nor this forum, comments where brewers have experienced negative results due to swamp cooler concerns.

Thanks again... cheers

Latest posts

Back