Super long mash times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used al-foil on top of the mash to keep the heat loss down, either when I'm doing a smaller mash than the esky holds or for an all-dayer (you know, the missus says "all right, you can brew" after being hassled for weeks, and then as soon as you are stuck with a paddle in your hand, getting dough-balls out, she's like "I want to go to <insert meaningless long drive here>".

Bacteria and other various organisms can produce toxins. Sometims its not the organism that is harmfull but the toxins produced. Boiling will kill the organism but the toxin remains. I have read that moulds tend to produce harmfull toxins.

Its just something to keep in mind.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Bacteria and other various organisms can produce toxins. Sometims its not the organism that is harmfull but the toxins produced. Boiling will kill the organism but the toxin remains. I have read that moulds tend to produce harmfull toxins.

This is precisely why I did a 10 minute boil before wrapping up and leaving over night. Might not kill all of them, but would surely get most of the nasty little buggers.

Came home at 5:30pm, drained mash.
23L of 1.062 @ 42C (1.072 @ 20C?)

Boiled for 90min, added hops, fingers crossed.
No-chilled into a fermenter, will check OG and adjust in the morning and pitch two packs of us-05

Second runnings@ 15L, added 500g of coconut sugar, fuggles for 60min boil, this is for my brother who aint like hops..... lol
Didn't measure OG yet... ill let you know.

Checked this morning, first runnings after boil = 19L and measure 1.090 with my hydrometer! so added ~6L of water... lol.

Was a bit hard to measure, but shooting for ~1.070. Added 2x packs of US-05

Second running 'brother beer' measured 1.050, added Danstar Belle Saison

Ducatiboy stu said:

Whilst the above is true in nature. What about in a mash?
Is this speculation or you know of toxins formed in a mash and harmful to whom?

I ask because it is kinda counter-intuitive when you think of sour mashes and Berliner Weissbier - many of which are no-boil.

I would imagine the L. Bacillus would dominate and not give much of a chance for anything else in there.

I have mashed, drained, cooled to 45-50c in the kettle and inoculated the wort with a lacto culture made from raw grain (trying yogurt next). Within 3 days the wort drops to around 3.5pH (L. Bacillus produces lactic acid).

My point being, with the presence of the fast propagating L. Bacillus and the acidity of the wort, human pathogens wouldn't survive and any present would have a hard time taking hold in an overnight mash.

As indicated, an overnight mash may lead to sourness due to lactic acid, but in my experience it takes longer to form, the bacteria (like yeast) need to propagate. If it has soured (albeit a small amount in a short time) it will remain in the beer but may even be undetectable.
I would simply do a pH test and a taste before running off.

Latest posts

Back