grainfather - mash water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
morning all, so ive only just done my second brew on 65l brewzilla, both times started with 3litres per kg of grain but its just not enough, both times ive had to rush around to add another 10. i then sparge the remainder required to get it up to about the 55l mark when done.

what are you guys doing for water volumes in these types of system? and is there any issue with going water heavy in the mash and lighter on the sparge?

thanks in advance

red

Last edited:
I'm using the Brewzilla 65, not the Grainfather. Bearing this in mind, a typical mash/grist ratio for a double batch of say, a pale ale is around 10kg to 38L with a 27L sparge. This gives me around 45L at 5.5%.

If you want to brew something a little heavier, say a RIS, then drop the sparge numbers considerably, if not completely. It's best to aim for a single batch of high ABV beers, that way you can still keep your efficiencies nice and high. I tried a double batch of a 7.2% IPA and my efficiencies fell off a cliff. Instead of my usual circa 85% mash efficiency, I ended up with 65% and a 5.8% IPA. I was seeing how hard you can push it with a bigger grain bill. In future, anything 6.5% or higher will be a single batch.

I'm guessing the Grainfather and Guten would be similar.

sorry yup its brewzilla not grainfather.... brain fart need more coffee...

thanks for your reply.

morning all, so ive only just done my second brew on 65l brewzilla, both times started with 3litres per kg of grain but its just not enough, both times ive had to rush around to add another 10. i then sparge the remainder required to get it up to about the 55l mark when done.

what are you guys doing for water volumes in these types of system? and is there any issue with going water heavy in the mash and lighter on the sparge?

thanks in advance

red
Nothing wrong with a more fluid mash, depending on the batch size and a 65 litre vessel you could no sparge, calculate your loss to grain and boil off rate and mash straight into the total volume of liquor required. Efficiency drops because of not washing more sugar out of the grain with the sparge water so just add more grain.
https://byo.com/article/skip-the-sparge/

001.JPG
Full volume mash.

With recirc systems, you need to calculate the usual water/grain ratio for your mash, but then you need to also add the fixed volume of water that you need to fill the space between the false bottom and the grain bed. You may also need to add a bit more water for the space above the grain bed and under the overflow pipe if you have slowly draining grain bed and lots of headroom.

Easiest way to measure the first quantity is to put in the empty grain basket and see how much water you need to add to reach the bottom of it.

Nothing wrong with a more fluid mash, depending on the batch size and a 65 litre vessel you could no sparge, calculate your loss to grain and boil off rate and mash straight into the total volume of liquor required. Efficiency drops because of not washing more sugar out of the grain with the sparge water so just add more grain.
https://byo.com/article/skip-the-sparge/

This worked for me but there is a trap for the unwary. I'll start a new thread.

Latest posts

Back