Sulphur And Clingwrap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
Hi,
So I am currently fermenting my first lager and as per my usual process, I used clingfilm instead of a lid and airlock. However now I am starting to get paranoid that by not allowing the free venting of gas, I might have not allowed the CO2 to carry off as much sulphur as it could have. I have even heard too much water in an airlock can increase pressure of CO2 in the fermentor which can lead to a sulphur problem, so Clingfilm would be worse. But on the other hand, don't some big breweries ferment under slight CO2 pressure with large pitching rates to keep down yeast growth and reduce esters/off flavours?

Its already two weeks into fermentation, and I am slowly ramping up the temp to allow the yeast to finish, Would it be worthwhile to change over to an airlock? or is the damage already done? Or am I imagining it to be a problem?

I've heard one solution to excess sulphur is force carbonating in a keg, then venting for a day or two...

Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks

I've heard one solution to excess sulphur is force carbonating in a keg, then venting for a day or two...

Another solution is to lager the beer at near freezing for a month. Lagers = waiting.
This is why I'm predominately an ale man myself.

Or am I imagining it to be a problem?

This.

Ferment it out properly, mature and condition it properly (including cold/lagering) and I'd be very surprised if you have any trouble.

I can't imagine it's the cling wrap's fault if you do.

Hi,
So I am currently fermenting my first lager and as per my usual process, I used clingfilm instead of a lid and airlock. However now I am starting to get paranoid that by not allowing the free venting of gas, I might have not allowed the CO2 to carry off as much sulphur as it could have.

Thanks

The gas will still escape just as well as if you have an airlock fitted.

Hi,
So I am currently fermenting my first lager and as per my usual process, I used clingfilm instead of a lid and airlock. However now I am starting to get paranoid that by not allowing the free venting of gas, I might have not allowed the CO2 to carry off as much sulphur as it could have. I have even heard too much water in an airlock can increase pressure of CO2 in the fermentor which can lead to a sulphur problem, so Clingfilm would be worse. But on the other hand, don't some big breweries ferment under slight CO2 pressure with large pitching rates to keep down yeast growth and reduce esters/off flavours?

Its already two weeks into fermentation, and I am slowly ramping up the temp to allow the yeast to finish, Would it be worthwhile to change over to an airlock? or is the damage already done? Or am I imagining it to be a problem?

Thanks

I think this is a good question, and although I can't answer definitively, my recent experience of using WLP830 German Lager yeast with glad-wrap over the fermenter suggests that you won't have any problems. I could smell quite a bit of sulphur from the fermenting fridge during primary fermentation, but letting it ferment out at 11C over 2.5 weeks (ramping up to 15C at the end) followed by crashing and conditioning for 3 weeks has left no obvious trace of sulphur in the beer. If you did end up with sulphur, then the venting option would probably help.

Cheers,
tallie.

The gas will still escape just as well as if you have an airlock fitted.

+1

The Gladwrap will blow up a bit as the CO2 is released, but after a point the excess will stil be forced out past the rubber band, or whatever you're using.

+1

The Gladwrap will blow up a bit as the CO2 is released, but after a point the excess will stil be forced out past the rubber band, or whatever you're using.

+2

CO2 will easily escape past the o-ring holding your cling wrap. Definitely remove cling wrap as a potential source of sulphur...

Latest posts

Back