Style Of The Week 7/6/06 - German Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it make much diff letting it sit for 6 weeks in the keg? I have never bothered. After primary has finished it raise the temp to 18 for 48 hours then crash chill and keg, and start drinking straight away.

Yes, I find it does.

Even fermenting at warmer temps it's still clean.

...and another mentioning its good at warm temps. What temps are you talking Steve? Ross was telling me a mate of his brews with S189 regularly (warm) with great results.
Cheers
Steve

and another mentioning its good at warm temps. What temps are you talking Steve? Ross was telling me a mate of his brews with S189 regularly (warm) with great results.
Cheers
Steve
I think it would be fine up to 20 deg C easy. If u can keep it cooler for the first couple of days and then let it go at a cooler room temp would be fine too as it ferments very fast, esspecially at warmer temps.
I have found that the fermentation temp does not make that much diff with this yeast. I have done one at 8 deg C and another at 18 deg C with very little diff, if any.
I do want to give the 2206 another go though.

I think it would be fine up to 20 deg C easy. If u can keep it cooler for the first couple of days and then let it go at a cooler room temp would be fine too as it ferments very fast, esspecially at warmer temps.
I have found that the fermentation temp does not make that much diff with this yeast. I have done one at 8 deg C and another at 18 deg C with very little diff, if any.
I do want to give the 2206 another go though.

Pretty much my experience. Remarkably clean yeast even at 20c.

I'm planning a Schwarzbier this weekend, fermented with this yeast at current storeroom temps (~15c). About two weeks primary, then a week kegged in the fridge. I reckon that'll do it.

Intersting guys - thanks. Im doing a double batch so I might brew one cold in the fridge and just stick the other in the laundry at room temp*. Will report back in a few weeks.
Cheers
Steve

* room temp being a non heated laundry in a house in Canberra that is very cold at the moment.

there is another aspect too: the most of lager and pilsener yeast strains dont taste good, they mostly taste bitter and muddy (has nothing to do with hops bitterness)

I'm not a fan of the Trbpils either, but the best lager yeast strains are the ones which are powdery and stay in suspension longer to eat up more of the less-fermentable sugars. A strain which ferments out in three days, drops to the bottom and is apparently drinkable after a week is not an ideal lager yeast. If someone ferments a beer at 20C with such a yeast then it shouldn't really be named a lager at all.

Back