Style Of The Week 5/7/06 - Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about 300gms of Light Crystal and the same for the Carapils? Jeesshhh

what about 300gms of Light Crystal and the same for the Carapils? Jeesshhh

250 of each. That's close enough to 5%.
Going once,
Going twice,

My final offer...

SOLD?

250 of each. That's close enough to 5%.
Going once,
Going twice,

My final offer...

SOLD?

SOLD!!!! Will chuck in Amarillo at 15 mins & 0 mins too - bugger it!

APA Zinger 40 IBUs

4kg Golden Promise Ale
500gms Munich
250gms Carapils
250gms Light Crystal
25gms Roasted malt

30gms Amarillo (10%) @ 60mins
25gms Cascade (5.5%) @ 30 mins
20gms Cascade @ 15 mins & 0 mins
20gms Amarillo @ 15 mins & 0 mins
15gms Amarillo dry hop
15gms Cascade dry hop

Whirlfloc & US 56 dry yeast

Cheers all :beer:
Steve

This is what happens when you put recipes up for scrutiny Steve. :lol: :lol:

Lock, load and brew before you change yer mind again. :ph34r:

Warren -

I like it when Steve asks for feedback, always a good chance to improve on something that is already OK...

Seems like every time we do it though it goes from about 25 IBU to 40 :lol:

I like it when Steve asks for feedback, always a good chance to improve on something that is already OK...

Seems like every time we do it though it goes from about 25 IBU to 40 :lol:

Locked in and have printed out me shopping list :lol:
Thanks
Steve

Locked in and have printed out me shopping list :lol:
Thanks
Steve

But there ain't no such thing as a locked in recipe... :(

You'll be there with 5mins of the boil left and a few measely grams of some sort of hop lying around and you'll say "Bugger it. That can go in too."
We all do it.
:lol:

I think APA's are my favourite style. I look forward to trying this one Steve! All grains crushed with the new improved Marga?

I think APA's are my favourite style. I look forward to trying this one Steve! All grains crushed with the new improved Marga?

yeah Max - just finished cracking em. Bought a 10mm spade bit for me drill. Works great. I may let you have a sample when its done :p
Cheers
Steve

But there ain't no such thing as a locked in recipe... :(

You'll be there with 5mins of the boil left and a few measely grams of some sort of hop lying around and you'll say "Bugger it. That can go in too."
We all do it.
:lol:

Amen.. to that "Father Voosher"

I'm just sipping on a SNPA clone and I must say that the cascade hops added for flavour and aroma have really lasted the distance. I kegged this beer about 10 weeks ago and expected the cascade to fade somewhat. :beer:

APA's lol. Been a a while since I brewed but with my stockpile of Amarillo and Cascade it will be this style for a while yet.

ISB'ers will get this reference.

Drew, how bout you give a pure 10 mins hop addition APA a go - that way you can use up about 150g of your hops in one hit - 75g of Amarillo 7% and 75g of Cascade 4.2% for about 40IBU :)

I might just do one with pure Aussie Cascade 5.5% at 10mins just to see how it turns out...

My triple APA's of Centenial or Simco + Amarillo + Cascade are a tad harsh on the pallet but after 3 months below nicely.

Get rid of a lazy 110g a hit there.

And yeah DJR I've done a few pure cascade ones and I reckon they are fantastic a tad sweet but go down so easily its great.

The next one of these styles I brew will be with a combination of hops I haven't tried together.
Going to use Warrior and Colombus all the way through. Looking forward to tasting how these two combine.

C&B
TDA

just racked me first columbus APA. great orangey stuff in the nose but a bit too green and piney on its own for aroma... next time i reckon i will blend it with something softer like amarillo or goldings even (perhaps NZ goldings)

actually i take that back i just hadda taste again and it is great stuff

The next one of these styles I brew will be with a combination of hops I haven't tried together.
Going to use Warrior and Colombus all the way through. Looking forward to tasting how these two combine.

C&B
TDA

Got my next one slotted in the to-do line TDA...

I'm going for a combination of Columbus and new season's NZ Cascade Flowers. :wub:

Warren -

Ahh APA

Every time i think of it i just come up with so many combos of hops to try out, i'm sure they are all crackers!

Going to try an all Columbus/Tomahawk one since i have craploads of the stuff from MSB
And an all 10mins Cascade one
Then another D Saaz one (last one was absolutely brilliant - D Saaz, Amarillo and Magnum)
Then some sort of Nelson Sauvin one
Then something using B Saaz
Still have some Simcoe and Amarillo kicking round as well

I think i have too many hops :lol:

I think i have too many hops :lol:

You do. Why not just give some away to free up some freezer space. ;)

Go all D Saaz. All Columbus is fine and definitely worth doing, but I think neonmeate is right first time that it needs blending with something. Amarillo would be good (always is). Love to know how those combos comes out, TDA and Warren. Columbus is definitely on my to buy list once I get through my back catalogue of hops.

Bugger giving them away. Just dump them in at the end. After trying Jye's hopburst, I'm sold on the simple Simcoe/Cascade combo. This is what I'm thinking of trying next, a big dump at 5 min.

----------

07-29 Hopburst III

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.12
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 31.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
53.3 4.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
26.7 2.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
13.3 1.00 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
6.7 0.50 kg. Weyermann Wheat Dark Germany 1.039 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 13.40 18.5 20 min.
125.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.20 12.8 5 min.

Yeast
-----

US56

Latest posts

Back