Style Of The Week 28/3/07 - Bohemian Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey brewers just wondering on what peoples thoughts are on S-189 dry yeast for a Bo Pils?

Here is the recipe I'm considering
21L batch.
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 80.00 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 20.00 %
20.00 gm Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.9 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [4.20 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [4.20 %] (10 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

My only other two attempts at the style were done with JW pilsner malt with small amounts of crystal and wheat. Saaz used throughout with 5-10grams of super alpha to help the IBU's, I enjoyed both.

Never used Magnum, S-189 or Weyermann Pilsner so this should be a fun brew day tomorrow ;) .

Thanks David
I have never used the dry yeast before for this style.I would myself not use the munich but Vienna instead.Add some acid malt if you need to lower the pH (3% is usually a good start point) IBU sounds ok, dont know about the Magnum, what profile will it add ? Go for it as you like ,Im sure it will be very drinkable.My favorite style.
GB

I can't exactly answer, David, but I've got a bo pils just starting to ferment now with that same yeast and I'm hoping it works out. All Saaz is the way I guess but I also cheated and used Northern Brewer for bittering. Magnum should work too. That's a fair amount of Munich there but it should make a tasty beer as well. I do prefer the Wey Munich though. :icon_drool2:

Thanks boys, I'm contemplating possibly using some crystal as well, but if I do I'll probably just go

4.75kg pils
0.25kg crystal

for a malt bill. Guess I'll see what I feel like tomorrow morning and make a decision than.

Gb, unfortunately I don't know what profile the magnum will add as I've never used it before. Hopefully it'll be good, its a bit of an experiment I guess :rolleyes: .

Thanks boys, I'm contemplating possibly using some crystal as well, but if I do I'll probably just go

4.75kg pils
0.25kg crystal

for a malt bill. Guess I'll see what I feel like tomorrow morning and make a decision than.

Gb, unfortunately I don't know what profile the magnum will add as I've never used it before. Hopefully it'll be good, its a bit of an experiment I guess :rolleyes: .
Dont go the crystal, if you are thinking that , go back to Munich malt. Crystal is going to put your brew way out of style.A Boh will work with just the pils anyway.NO crystal.
GB

Think you'll be impressed with the Wey Pils. The Pils base and Munich colouring is a nice simple recipe and they generally work out the best. Looks good, can't comment on the dry yeast though.

anyone here have an idea of how Tasmanian grown Saaz (3.6%AA) compares to Czech saaz, as far as taste and aroma goes?

picked up a kg of them from Ebay and planning to use them in some pilsners for summer!

What decoction schedule would be good for this style
recipe so far is as follows

Batch Size (L): 40.40 Wort Size (L): 40.40
Total Grain (kg): 8.85
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.89
Anticipated SRM: 4.5
Anticipated IBU: 35.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.1 7.35 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 2
16.9 1.50 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
98.01 g. Czech Saaz Whole 4.00 28.7 60 min.
30.69 g. Czech Saaz Whole 4.00 4.6 30 min.
30.69 g. Czech Saaz Whole 4.00 1.8 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

may I ask how big your batch is?

for a 60L batch Im using around 35g of Saazer hops, thats quite a lot for arome :huh:

Just looking through this thread again as I want to brew another Bo Pils and saw this Zwickel.
My batch size is 23L after the boil. I didn't end up brewing this because the AA of the Czech Saaz is so low, around 2.2%.
Now I am rethinking using it along with Super Alpha as the bittering hop.
I need to do a search because I know there is a thread here somewhere with a lot of input from you, master of Pils :icon_cheers:

C&B
TDA

This recipe and mash shedule has been my best effort at this style yet. It is a hard one to get spot on.

#73 Pilsner
Bohemian Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 18/09/2008
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg - Lager
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

5000.00 gm Premium Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.2 EBC) Grain 83.33 %
1000.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 16.67 %
25.00 gm Super Alpha [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (40 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.13 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 41.6 IBU Calories: 511 cal/l
Est Color: 8.3 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Tripple Total Grain Weight: 6000.00 gm
Sparge Water: 22.87 L Grain Temperature: 15.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 76.0 C TunTemperature: 15.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Decoction Mash, Tripple Step Time Name Description Step Temp
5 min Protein Rest Add 15.00 L of water at 61.1 C 55.0 C
20 min Saccharification Decoct 3.36 L of mash and boil it 63.0 C
40 min Saccharification Decoct 5.11 L of mash and boil it 73.0 C
10 min Mash Out Decoct 2.10 L of mash and boil it 76.0 C

Hey Steve,

How did the KG of munich go? I would have thaught the pils+munich AND a decoction Mash would have given it a BIIIG rich maltyness much like a munich dunkel. Was you're colour the same as quoted in the recipe @ 8.3SRM? Was it big on the breadcrust aroma or enough pils to restrain it?

Steve - why is it that you say this is your best pils yet and its triple decocted yet in another post you say decoctions arent worth the effort?

I'm confused. :huh:

Recipe looks delish tho! :D

I guess what I am saying I think the recipe made it great rather than the decoction. For some reason with my Bo Pils I am always looking for that 5 or 10% of something to add to the Pils and the Munich worked a treat. And it is very big and malty but as thats just about all I do these days I suspect I am slightly amuned now. Thats why I am attempting a German Pilsner next to try and recalibrate my palete.
But I would not rush out and do a tripple decoction again. I will try this recipe single infusion again soon and see. I guess it was as good as thought it would be but not 1000% better by doing a decoction, if u get me.
And the colour is right on, still pretty light.

Steve

I guess what I am saying I think the recipe made it great rather than the decoction. For some reason with my Bo Pils I am always looking for that 5 or 10% of something to add to the Pils and the Munich worked a treat. And it is very big and malty but as thats just about all I do these days I suspect I am slightly amuned now. Thats why I am attempting a German Pilsner next to try and recalibrate my palete.
But I would not rush out and do a tripple decoction again. I will try this recipe single infusion again soon and see. I guess it was as good as thought it would be but not 1000% better by doing a decoction, if u get me.
And the colour is right on, still pretty light.

Steve

Always interested in someone taking a scientific approach to their brewing.

If you do brew the same recipe with a single infusion i would be interested to hear your results.

My last Bo Pils had a decoction but its too hard to say how it contributed to the overall beer. I did miss temps putting the boiled malt back in and had to add water to hit temps.

The keg went with me camping and mates drained it in 24h.

Judges at SABSOSA picked diacetyl (a fault of the ferment, not the mash).

The bottles i have left aren't flash. Something not right about it but i cant pick the diacetyl as a butterscotch flavour/aroma - its got a funny mouthfeel too it, almost soapy?

So i need to repeat the experiment. I have a dunkel lagering away now that i did a double decoction. Just waiting for a tap to free up so i can try it.

Just though I would fire up the ol Pil thread again. I will be brewing this next. I have stepped up a Wyeast Budvar 2000 that was 1 week old. I am sorry to all the decoction die hards but not worth the effort IMO. Single infusions for me I think. I will be interested to see how this one comes out. Still dont know if I should use the Hallertauer or Saaz?

#89 Boh Pilsner
Bohemian Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 18/03/2009
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

5500.00 gm Premium Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.2 EBC) Grain 91.67 %
500.00 gm Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 8.33 %
50.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
45.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.80 %] (20 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Budvar Lager (Wyeast Labs #2000) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.91 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 38.3 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 6.7 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 6000.00 gm
Sparge Water: 12.87 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 74.1 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 91.6 C 76.0 C

OK you talked me into it. I have got some T45 pellets at 4% that should do the trick.

I have this one fermenting at present.

Boil Time: 90 Minutes
OG 1.059
23 litres

4500.00 gm Premium Pilsner (2.5 EBC) 90.00 %
500.00 gm Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) 10.00 %
20.00 gm Saaz T45 [4.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hops 11.7 IBU
5.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (80 min) 3.8 IBU
12.00 gm Super Alpha [12.20 %] (80 min) 16.7 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz T45 [4.50 %] (20 min) 7.4 IBU
Starter Urquell Lager (Wyeast #WY2001)

Doughed in 52.5C 30 min.
Decocted and added back to mash. 66.2C 40 min.
Decocted and added back to mash 73C 30 minutes.
23 litres into fermenter OG 1.059.

I so want to brew a Bohemian Pilsner but need to clear the ever increasing back log into the ferment fridge. I need to bite the bullet and do a double batch or a double brew day where I throw a Pilsner and a lager I guess.

Delightful beer to drink, c%#t of a beer to brew. A tiny trace of diacetyl or DMS f^*ks the whole batch for me.

There is step mashing, that's somewhere in between single infusions and triple decoctions.

I'd only single infuse beers like APA's ;)

Latest posts

Back