Style Of The Week 28/3/07 - Bohemian Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are decoctions and then there are decoctions...... :ph34r:

Depending on time and motivation i have been known to pull the grain out for a decoction and simply boil it (rather than taking the long way and stepping it up to 63, resting, 70, resting, then boiling). Single, double so far, yet to tackle the triple.

Even if i wasnt able to taste the difference, the smell of boiling grain is 10x better than the smell of a normal mash. :icon_cheers:

And yes Tangent, multi infusions are also the go, no harder than single infusions. After reading a few books DrGonzo lent me i use a 51/63/71/78 combo for pilsners and even the last kolsch.

DrGonzo still decocts his APAs!

I have this on tap at the moment. Very malty, and even though it came down to 1.010, it has nice body, not thin, but not too much. Very impressed with JW export pils. The hops balance the maltiness beautifully.

97.1% JW Export pils
1.9% Melanoiden ( wey )
1% Biscuit ( dingemans )

Motueka at 60,30,15,10,5

S189

34 IBU

66c mash, with equal additions of Calc Chloride, and Gypsum, and a little epsom salts too. 12-14c ferment for 2 weeks, crash chilled, gelatin added, then kegged.

It's a golden yellow colour and is tasting great, the motueka is lovely!

I have this on tap at the moment. Very malty, and even though it came down to 1.010, it has nice body, not thin, but not too much. Very impressed with JW export pils. The hops balance the maltiness beautifully.

97.1% JW Export pils
1.9% Melanoiden ( wey )
1% Biscuit ( dingemans )

Im also a fan of JW Pils. Considering its 1/2 the price of weyermann and has a great sweet pilsner malt palate, you cant go wrong really. I do notice its somewhat sweeter than weyermann and weyermann has a doughy palate. I would have to say the JW goes really well in a Bohemian. Interestingly i also find it goes well as a APA base malt, avoid using crystals and bulk it out with specialties like munich, biscuit etc. :icon_cheers:

How was the hop profile with the sulfate addition? Still soft hop palate or sharper? What kind of ppm range or chloride to sulfate ratio where you shooting for? Im planning on a Bohemian when the months get a little colder and was thinking of using just CaCl to avoid as much suflate as i can.

Interested to know the results as it could change the hop profile and seem somewhat dryer like a German Pils.

Cheers.

Hop profile was softer than a german pils, the hops seemed to come in after the big malty hit. Definately not muted though, very balanced. Our water here is quite soft, so i added equal amounts of the gypsum and also chloride to aim for a balance, between malty and crisp bitterness.

I think maybe using all gypsum it may have ended up a little more crisp and bitter ( not more IBU's, but the bitterness might be more pronounced? ), but im no expert.

I know i use 7g total salts for a single batch, and 14g for a double, and figure out salts from there. In this case, 7g each gypsum and chloride. The epsom salt i believe is just an extra help to get the PH down.

All i know is its the best balanced pils i've made so far. Not that i make many, but still the best.

I have 5kg of floor malted bohemian pilsner that I plan on making a pilsner with, i also intend on using;

1.5% melanoidin
3.5% carapils

i intend on doing a step mash

15min @ 52
45min @ 63
30min @ 72
10min @ 78 mashout

i'll be using wy2001 & saaz hops

does anyone know if the floor malt pilsner needs a protein rest @ 52 ?

i remember reading that a protein rest can degrade head & body if the malt is well modified

also, any comments on my additions of 3.5% carapils and 1.5% melanoidin to my grain bill, as well as my mash schedule are appreciated

i'm trying to make something along the lines of PU without decoction, so if anyone has anything to add, please let me know,

thanks

i remember reading that a protein rest can degrade head & body if the malt is well modified

I use the floor pils a lot, with a protein rest as that is the default on my system - I have had no lack of body as a result, really it is on the higher end of the scale. Clarity is very good too. Head on the other hand I think is a bit lacking, so the last couple I have been skipping the protein rest, hopefully the clarity (chill haze mainly) does not suffer too much.

hi dent,

do you use anything else in your grist apart from the floor malted pils ? carapils or similar ?

I use the floor pils a lot, with a protein rest as that is the default on my system - I have had no lack of body as a result, really it is on the higher end of the scale. Clarity is very good too. Head on the other hand I think is a bit lacking, so the last couple I have been skipping the protein rest, hopefully the clarity (chill haze mainly) does not suffer too much.

My default recipe is currently the following:

5kg floor pils
150g carapils
100g melanoidin

55 15 min
63 30 min
68 30 min
77 20 min

45g cz saaz @60
25g cz saaz @30
45g cz saaz @0

2278 yeast

I would back off on the 0-min addition if you are no-chilling however.

Really though I have made this with just 100% floor pils and it has been mostly as good. Brewing technique, fermentation, etc make a bigger difference.

i just brewed a beer with the bohemian floor pils (+10% carahell) and just did an infusion at 65. clearest beer ive made for a while.

I did my Bohemian Pilsner again yesterday, this is a style I have been playing with for a couple of years now. Although I only brew it every few months I have found the hop additions of 60, 40, 20 work really well in this style.

Batz

Batz. what do you use in it beside pilsner malt?

Certainly some ale malts will suffer so Don, but I don't think that's the case with Bo Pils, I always protein rest just it to facilitate a single decoction and it has beautiful head retention and no lack of body. Doing the same with GP has resulted in the almost immediate head loss upon pouring.

Despite starting like milk, Bo Pils does yield some pretty clear wort and eventually, the beer is not too shabby either.

Latest posts

Back