Style Of The Week 25/8/09 - American Barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice mate...

I'm not exactly sure how I want it to taste...though I have given it some thought. The recipe was taking off an american site, and after looking at it again and reading up on barley wines in a few books, that is WAY to much crystal...

9.04 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.5 %
0.49 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.24 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
40.00 gm Chinook [12.40%] (73 min) Hops 41.7 IBU
50.00 gm Centennial [9.70%] (45 min) Hops 35.9 IBU
45.00 gm Cascade [6.90%] (30 min) Hops 17.3 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [9.70%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.90%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU 1
5.00 gm Cascade [6.90%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Chinook [12.40%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Have got a yeast cake of 1272. Will be brewing this one this saturday as a 100 ibu 1.100 gravity brew. Let me know what you think of this recipe...

Cheers
Phil

Have had this sitting in a cube (as secondary) for yonks now. Haven't really given it a taste, so I grabbed the little squeezy thingo that I use for gathering wort to put onto the refractometer. Gave that a taste....it definitely has strong port characteristics (which I can only assume is coming from oxidation). Now if I was to dry hop it now, and then keg, carb and then bottle via CPBF will the oxidation continue to increase or does it sort of hit a threshold or take some time to get there? I was thinking of tipping this stuff out, but it actually tastes quite nice...

Cheers
Phil

If the beer is purged of oxygen then I presume not much more oxidation would occur? :huh:

But if you CPBF it, then the longevity of the bottled version wont be too good imho.

I would be inclined to bulk prime it. Makes for a more stable beer in the bottle - unless you are planning on drinking the lot soon!? If so then sample straight from the keg.

Here is the American Barleywine I brewed a couple of weeks back. It finished at 1.020 for about 10.5%, I can't believe how smooth it tastes for a 100IBU beer, it is going in the QABC09 so we will see how it fares for a green beer.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BD's Barleywine
Brewer: Tony Brown
Asst Brewer: Jess
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.105 SG
Estimated Color: 12.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10.47 %
8.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM)Grain 83.77 %
0.10 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
0.10 kg Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
0.10 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.52 %
60.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 74.2 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (15 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
25.00 gm Simcoe [11.90 %] (10 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
25.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs US05 From Trub (Safale) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.55 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 22.32 L of water at 76.0 C 65.0 C

Notes:
------
cararye used

cheers

Browndog

Another update on this beer, it scored 3rd in the strong ale class in the QABC 10 and 3rd in the AABC 10. Seems to be aging well.

cheers

Browndog

Another update on this beer, it scored 3rd in the strong ale class in the QABC 10 and 3rd in the AABC 10. Seems to be aging well.

cheers

Browndog

Bit early in the evening for Barley Wines hey BD?

Cheers

Paul

Browndog, what mash efficiency did you end up with? I see estimated 80% in the recipie. I put a similar barley wine down about a week ago and some how only ended up with ~60% efficiency. I nail 78% every time with any other beer and thaught I would loose some efficiency but not that much.

Drew

Have had this sitting in a cube (as secondary) for yonks now. Haven't really given it a taste, so I grabbed the little squeezy thingo that I use for gathering wort to put onto the refractometer. Gave that a taste....it definitely has strong port characteristics (which I can only assume is coming from oxidation). Now if I was to dry hop it now, and then keg, carb and then bottle via CPBF will the oxidation continue to increase or does it sort of hit a threshold or take some time to get there? I was thinking of tipping this stuff out, but it actually tastes quite nice...

Cheers
Phil

If you don't want to drink it i am happy to take it off your hands. The port characteristics are very nice in a BW.

I am in 2 minds regarding the carbonation. I am going to bottle my RIS via CPBF that has been in a keg for months. But i bottle conditioned the barleywine. So both work.

And i know you hate bottling as much as i do so don't be tempted to put it on tap :lol: :party:

If you don't want to drink it i am happy to take it off your hands. The port characteristics are very nice in a BW.

I am in 2 minds regarding the carbonation. I am going to bottle my RIS via CPBF that has been in a keg for months. But i bottle conditioned the barleywine. So both work.

And i know you hate bottling as much as i do so don't be tempted to put it on tap :lol: :party:

You help me bottle and you can take half of it hone with you...

Otherwise it's going on tap and through the Randall :D

Browndog, what mash efficiency did you end up with? I see estimated 80% in the recipie. I put a similar barley wine down about a week ago and some how only ended up with ~60% efficiency. I nail 78% every time with any other beer and thaught I would loose some efficiency but not that much.

Drew

Looked up my notes and saw I got 1.102 for 77% efficiency. There is always the possibility I chucked a bit more dry extract in if the OG was a bit low but I can't remember now. As a rule of thumb, the bigger the beer the more efficiency you loose. I use a double batch sparge and I find this to be a very efficient way to brew.

cheers

Browndog

I loved the malt character of the beer below. I'd just watched a video of Mikkel tipping a bottle of Black into an Oatgoop boil & was inspired to do the same, but with a disappointingly flat, underattenuated brew.

Gold at AABC 2010

10.5kg Galaxy Ale
450g JW Caramalt
450g JW Crystal Malt
113g JW Pale Choc
113g Ding Special B
450g dextrose
225g LME
750ml flat, sweet hoppy bock beer

Mashed 65C 90 mins

43 IBU Horizon 60 mins
19 IBU Simcoe 60 mins
1.5g/L Galaxy Flameout
1.8 g/L Simcoe Flameout
7g/L Galaxy Hopback (Lauter Tun)
4.5g/L Hallertau Mittlefruh Hopback

Preboil 27L 1.070 (pre sugar/DME)
In fermenter 18L @ 1.102 / 25 Brix
Ferm'd w/ 21g S05 @ 20C
FG 1.018

Thanks dude, I was in half a mind to ask you for this one. Amazing beer!

Honourable mention & credit for the grain bill must go to JZ (if you hadn't figured it out already)

I'm looking at doing a Barley Wine this weekend. I've based my recipe off Brewing Classic Styles, with 2 differences.

1) No Ale malt, so I've subbed in some Pilsner Malt.
2) No Special B, so I've left it out.

I also dialed the bitterness down to account for No-Chill.

Will these two changes have any significant impact on the beer? I've read some posts that seem to think there is SFA difference between Ale and Pilsner Malt, but I wonder with a big beer like this if it will. I'd sort of like to get this beer going this weekend, as I should have a nice 1056 yeast cake by next weekend to pitch it onto. So I don't want to have to stuff around making a run to Craftbrewer if I can help it. Here is the recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Barley Wine
Brewer: Nathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 36.08 L
Estimated OG: 1.104 SG