Students Learn To Brew At High School

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
FYI, Masterton is about 1.5 hours north of Wellington in NZ.

Beers,
Doc

Masterton students brew beer in class
17 September 2004

A Masterton private school has defended its NCEA beer brewing science classes but community leaders are unimpressed.

Earlier this week Masterton deputy mayor and mayoral candidate Rod McKenzie said he had been "surprised" to learn students were brewing beer.

Today, Rathkeale College principal Neville Duckmanton said the home brew experiments had been carried out at the school for the past three years as part of Year 11 NCEA science course.

The experiments were conducted under strict conditions and "the tops never came off the bottles", Mr Duckmanton said.

The class of 15 and 16-year-olds did the experiment to illustrate the actions of living organisms.

Students worked under strict conditions and were not allowed to consume the product, he said.

Parents were allowed to pick up their student's beer making efforts if they wanted - otherwise it was thrown out.

But Wairarapa police head Inspector John Johnston said the school risked breaking the law if they allowed under-aged students to take alcohol home.

He said if police stopped a car driven by a minor carrying alcohol the offender could end up facing charges.

Mr Johnston said if the school wanted to experiment with fermentation they should consider making bread or ginger beer instead of alcohol.

Wairarapa-based New Zealand First MP Edwin Perry also opposed the experiment.

"There is plenty of time for young people to find out about booze without them learning about it in class," he said.

Doc said:
"There is plenty of time for young people to find out about booze without them learning about it in class," he said.
This is a disgusting attitude, to some people all beer is is booze to get people drunk, who ever made that statement is a complete wanker!

Wine is being made in high schools all over australia and like beer its science and further to that brewing is a very valid career choice and learning practicall suff like this i beleive is a awesome idea for high schools.

Edwin Perry sounds like a real idiot.

Sorry my ranting is now over.
Jayse :ph34r:

New Zealand First Party.... you have to be a wanker to get a run with that crowd.

dreamboat

I teach Yr. 11 biology in Melbourne and also run a beer making prac. The students don't get to taste the finished product but still love it. An excellent way to teach and observe respiration first hand and an excellent way for me to stock my cupboards!

Doc said:
Parents were allowed to pick up their student's beer making efforts if they wanted - otherwise it was thrown out.
Yeah right. Of course they throw it out if the parents dont pick it up.

Im teach at a sa public high school where they make and sell wine, also have owned race horses and are now starting to brew beer.

Doc said:
A Masterton private school has defended its NCEA beer brewing science classes but community leaders are unimpressed.
I remain unimpressed by community leaders.

bloody loosers they are you better of teaching thme to make beer and drink better beer as they will end up drinking swill

Students Get Shot Glasses Before Homecoming
Published: Sep 20, 2004 11:24 AM EST

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Officials at Rio Grande High School aren't getting a buzz from the school's homecoming memento.

Nearly 100 shot glasses etched with "Dreams Will Come True 2004" were handed out in advance of the celebration last week until the principal got word of it.

"It's not an appropriate message to send out," Principal Al Sanchez said Thursday after putting a stop to the giveaway. "We'll never do that again."

School activities director James Chavez took the blame saying the cheapest glass was a $1.32 shot glass. He said he thought they could be used to hold candles or toothpicks, not alcohol.

"We emphasized this is not for drinking," Chavez said.

The school had distributed about 100 of the shot glasses before a teacher questioned the giveaway.

Student Lawrence Chavez said the glasses were "better than a key chain," but knew they would raise eyebrows.

"I didn't think of it as a toothpick holder," he said.

In year 12 chemistry we learn't about distillation buy fermenting a sugar/water mix then distilling it making ethanol. I thought this was illegal in Australia.

I reckon it would be a great way to learn. Beer making isnt just about getting blind, to most of us guys on here, its kinda an art.

I'm told by a person well connected in the liquor industry that theres a strong push by trade organisations (at least in NSW) to have the sale of beer making supplies banned in supermarkets or any other unlicensed premises.

Also, there was that famous instance about a year ago where some wowser in Qld wanted the sale of Coopers Birrel ( less than 1%alc) banned from the supermarkets because it had the word "beer" on the label and tasted vaguely beery. Apparently kids had been buying it to take to school for recess to look big in front of their mates!

Bloody do gooders! <_<

They need a good stiff drink :chug:

At Marlborough Boy High (Blenheim NZ) in 1987 they had a system of grading students called streaming. The kids in the lowest stream got to brew brew for science. I wasn't in the class :D but we were extremely jealous, and the student involved were really interested in the class, so it seemed to be a great way to engage the students interest.

Back