Strongarm Recipe From A Kit? Anyone? Please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerKit

Reaction score
As you can see I just joined this site.

I have been brewing for about 2 years now, and only use kits due to time constraints. From my quick tour of this site (including the recipe section) I see most brewers here seem to be 'mashers', so I may be waisting my time, but if you don't ask, you don't get, and I'm desperate.

I was in my brew shop the other day, and was stuck for inspiration. I started racking my brain for styles of drinkable commercials, and remembered Strongarm Bitter.

I used to drink this in the mid 90's (as the pub near work had it on tap). Even from a bottle it was one of my favourites. I drank it for years until about '99 when I changed jobs, and decided I needed to be drinking 'premiums' or 'importeds' (I was 10 years less mature). I forayed here for a year or two, and then tried to go back to old faithful. Don't know if it had changed, or my beerbuds got 'cultured'. Anyway, I went off it.

I tried it again about a year ago to see if I was mistaken, and to see why it received this review. I concur, it deserved the bagging.

PLEASE, DOES ANYONE HAVE A MID-90'S-STYLE STRONGARM RECIPE FROM A KIT ?? I see there is one here but it is 'mash' and doesn't mention whether it is the new (awful) taste or the original. I've 'googled' it, but with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a recipe but the Boags website tasting notes says:

The traditional recipe blends the purest Tasmanian malted barley with Pride of Ringwood hops which are then lagered the way they were back in the early 1900s. This, combined with a higher mashing temperature and alcohol content, delivers a beer that satisfies the palate of any beer connoisseur.

Perhaps try an Australian lager kit like Morgans with POR hops and a lager yeast or if you want to keep it simple, then maybe an Australian Bitter kit with less POR hops and an ale yeast.

You might need to play around with the recipe to get it right.

I'd also have to say 'no sugars' in this one (based on the "higher mash temperature" comment). Kits and dry malt only.

Maybe two standardish lager kits and a kilo of DME? Adjust volume so OG is around ~1.060. Boil some PoR for flavour/aroma or dry hop if you're keen but I can't guarantee you'd like that.

I made this based on my HBS list of 'cloning' beers for a Tasmanian lager

Goldrush Country New kit

Brew Blend - (500g Dextrose, 250 Light Malt, 250 MaltoDextrin). Cascade Finishing Hops

It was a very Tasmanian lager sort of beer. Probably change the hops there but it certainly worked well, at least the person I brewed it for, who loves Tassie beers, really enjoyed it...

Wow,

Thanks for the fast responses. At least I have a good starting point now. Give me a couple of months (summer) and hopefully I'll have a decent recipe for you.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back