Strange Computer Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
Got a weird one. Everything working fine until yesterday and then everything not receiving anything from Internet except Skype.

Internet connection fine, doing this on another laptop connected via wireless.

Other computer no connection indication as if something is blocking all access except Skype.

Tried disabling firewall still nothing getting in using Firefox, IE, Microsoft update, Thunderbird, AVG update, etc. etc. It is as if everything is offline except Skype. Got no restore points to roll back to except the one I did after running PC tools Registry Mechanic. No virus showed up on AVG scan.

Got a weird one. Everything working fine until yesterday and then everything not receiving anything from Internet except Skype.

Internet connection fine, doing this on another laptop connected via wireless.

Other computer no connection indication as if something is blocking all access except Skype.

Check your DNS settings... One way of doing that is to open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all", and check the entries under "DNS Servers" match on both computers. Not sure where you're supposed to change it if that's what's wrong (I don't use Windows) -- somewhere in your network settings -- but it should either be set to the same as the working one or to be "determined automatically."

Good luck...

Sounds like the DNS. Skype connects via ip address so it will still connect. All the other will need a DNS.

I'm guessing you are using DHCP so that should all work automagically. I'd also guess that ipconfig/all will show that your DNS is your modem/router. Either the modem/router has lost contact witht eh upstream DNS or for some reason your PC isn't connecting to the DNS correctly. Reboot both and see if that helps. If not you may need to fiddle with the network settings.

Cheers
Dave

Way Haaay You men are Superstars would never have thought about DNS.

I connect to my router manually both for IP address and DNS and somehow or another the (tcp/Ip) properties had cleared my Primary and Secondary DNS address settings.

Everything working again now glad I posted first before doing something drastic.

Many thanks owe you a bottle of Boagsy's Little Big Horn IPA it is a good one :icon_drunk:

Back