Stout water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise that this is a bit of an old thread, but I was trying to find some info on the effectiveness of CaCO3 additions after brewing a robust porter last week, in which the mash pH was a bit low (4.6) after an initial 1 teaspoon of CaCO3, so I tried adding another teaspoon and re-measured the pH - it was still low, so I kept adding more (5t in the end) but didn't manage to raise the pH above 4.8. I've come to the conclusion that one or all of the following are to blame:
- CaCO3 just didn't dissolve
- I hadn't stirred the mash thoroughly enough to either get it to dissolve, or to get a good pH reading
- the new pack of pH strips I used were dodgy (new brand I haven't used before and they have no compartive scale on the strip which helps account for dark beer).

Anyway, it's tasting ok from the fermenter so the low pH/too much CaCO3 probably hasn't stuffed the beer. I like the idea of steeping the dark grains separately (since CaCO3 won't go into solution easy) so I think I'll try that next time.

As for the many comments above suggesting a side-by-side comparison of stout with/without CaCO3 - I was completely won over to using brewing salts at ANHC 2010 where they had actually done this experiment and everyone got to do a side-by-side tasting. They served the salt 'free' brew first and I thought it tasted pretty good till the batch with salts came out and you could really taste the difference in flavour. Since it was 4 years ago I can't give you a detailed account, but I remember that was the moment that I decided to use brewing salts.

Have a look at braukaiser's experiments with using chalk to raise pH. Generally considered ineffective unless dissolved in acid.

There are other methods you can use - I prefer cold steeping my dark malts overnight and adding the liquor and grains to the last ten minutes of the mash.

wonderwoman said:
I realise that this is a bit of an old thread, but I was trying to find some info on the effectiveness of CaCO3 additions after brewing a robust porter last week, in which the mash pH was a bit low (4.6) after an initial 1 teaspoon of CaCO3, so I tried adding another teaspoon and re-measured the pH - it was still low, so I kept adding more (5t in the end) but didn't manage to raise the pH above 4.8. I've come to the conclusion that one or all of the following are to blame:
That result is right in line with my experience and this is also documented in Braukaiser's (Kai Troester) paper on mash pH on his website. Chalk is not suitable for increasing mash or wort pH in a timely manner.

mabrungard said:
Chalk is not reliable in providing the alkalinity needed for acidic mash grists like this. A brewer is FAR better off finding some slaked lime (aka: pickling lime or calcium hydroxide) and using that to add alkalinity. Bru'n Water software is a tool that can help calculate the lime addition for the mash. While you are on the Bru'n Water website, do read the Water Knowledge section to better understand why you need that alkalinity.

Another option to brewing this stout is to use the Guinness method and separately steep the roast grains and add that dark liquor directly to the kettle. Mash the rest of the grain as usual.
Unless I am reading this wrong I must take issue Kalkwasser reduced alkalinity I was going to toss some in last time I brewed a stout as I have shit loads of lab grade calcium hydroxide from the days when I kept a coral reef aquarium :D Luckily my water is close to Dublin water but could do with a small increase in alk and ca but I didn't bother and the stout is great.

Latest posts

Back