Stout recipe feedback...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kz412

Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time lurker first time caller etc...

Having a crack at my first stout, and first recipe from scratch (other than a few SMaSHes) on the weekend. Wanted to keep it simple so I can build the recipe up over a few successive brews, getting a feel for the individual ingredients.

Just wanting to see if I'm on the right track with what I've got so far before I put this one down:
New Recipe (Foreign Extra Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 41.3 (EBC): 81.4
Bitterness (IBU): 30.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

75.64% Maris Otter Malt
12.6% Brown Malt
5.88% Chocolate
5.88% Roasted Barley

1.7 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

For what it's worth, this is for 23L into fermentor, currently doing a basic BIAB no chill system.

Cheers.

My stouts generally come in around the 40 IBU mark but the roasted barley will already add some bitterness. I prefer mine with a bit more body so mash at 67. Other than that, it looks pretty tasty.

Excellent. This looks similar to what I was planning on doing, instead with Carafa III, Black Patent, Roasted Barley and Choc Malt.

Finally got hold of Epsom salts to harden our soft water.

Leaning towards Danstar Belle Saison on this one, especially if the M79 I'm using for the mild doesn't look like getting there and needs a pitch of something else to finish off (1 degree night).

Cheers for the feedback, wound up upping the IBU's to 40, using Fuggles as I couldn't get my hands on any EKG. Smelt awesome while cubing, gonna chuck it in the fermenter tonight with some S04.

Raja, is it Brisbane water you're treating with Epsom? Water chemistry isn't something I've bothered much with yet, wondering if it may be worth a shot next round.

kz412 said:
Cheers for the feedback, wound up upping the IBU's to 40, using Fuggles as I couldn't get my hands on any EKG. Smelt awesome while cubing, gonna chuck it in the fermenter tonight with some S04.

Raja, is it Brisbane water you're treating with Epsom? Water chemistry isn't something I've bothered much with yet, wondering if it may be worth a shot next round.
Nope. It's the water here in Northern Tas. Though/But....

After the 2011 floods, I noticed I had a sharp drop in efficiency, and my Pale Ales lacking their usual punch. Before the floods, the water was hard and great for good hoppy beers.

So I ended up firstly adjusting the mash by whacking enough acidulated malt (200g in a 5.5kg ish grist) from craftbrewer into the mash to decrease pH, and that returned me back to normal figures.

Now, I'd probably get the EZ Water calculator, get hold of the figures for where you are in Brissie (I know the North Pine Dam has fairly different figures off memory), and adjust accordingly.

Here in Tas, water is even softer.

NickB, Bradsbrew and those blokes on the south side are fairly big water chemistry blokes - they'd be worth picking the brains of to get some basic chemistry sorted.

Back