Stout Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day guys, I've gotta cascade choc porter on the go and next is a toucan stout, I don't want these beers to be too fizzy and am after a creamy head, should i prime the bottles with only a half measure of dextrose or just one carbo drop? or does the make up of these beers sort themselves out with the full amount of priming? Cheers Kingo.

The best way to manage your carbonation is to wait for a little while after fermentation is finished so the gas coming out of the beer equalises. You see fermenting beer is supersaturated, but when you calculate how much sugar to add you're assuming the beer has 1 volume of CO2 dissolved.
Leave it for 4 or 5 days or up to a week if you're not in a hurry (I know, it's hard to resist the urge :)). This will clean the beer up significantly as it lets the yeast mop up after itself once fermentation is over anyway.
I'd say half the usual amount would be a good starting point. Try it and see how you go. The worst that can happen is the'd be too flat for your taste and you'll have to re-open them and add the rest of the sugar.

MFS.

Yep..... always leave the beer in secondary for a week for the gas, flavours, yeasts ect to settle out and equalise.

If it bubbles in the hydromiter tube, its not done.

I then prime and always get consistant results.

cheers

4-6g/L sugar or dextrose.
Allow it to mature for 6 months.
Yummm

Kingo
I made a bloody nice toucan (coopers) stout a couple of years ago. Dumped the two cans on a yeast cake from a smaller beer that used recultured coopers yeast from a sparkling ale long neck. (also added 200gr dried corn syrup, 12ml licorice extract, and 15gr Fuggles added at 5 mins). Made it up to 18 litres only. Body was incredible, Used 70 gr of table sugar to carbonate. Sat in primary for 2 weeks then secondary for 2 weeks. OG 1060, FG 1016. A year later it was a bloody lovely tasting stout. Carbonation was spot on. Was very sad when it ran out !!

I just finished kegging my first stout (just the basic coopers ket). I have to recommend to anyone to buy a good quality stout tap, I picked up a 2nd hand guinness tap for next to nothing from ebay and I have to say a thick creamy head on a perfect stout 1 week after brewing - This has to be better then waiting weeks/month(s). :D

Back