Storing Frozen Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
I'm considering putting away a few fully fermented brews until summer and was wondering about storing them in cubes or jerry cans in our deep freezer as I don't have enough kegs or fridge space otherwise.

Apart from the expansion issue while freezing (I'll leave lid loose and won't overfill) would there be any detrimental effects of freezing the beer for 6 months or so and then thawing and kegging it?

Personally I wouldn't freeze beer. Dont see the need. The beer will keep fine at cooler temps as long as your sanitising is up to scratch.

But hey I have never tried so who knows.

If you do decide to freeze it I would not keep the lids loose. This is asking for an infection. The beer should be kept under C02 in a sealed enviroment.

Could always buy more kegs :rolleyes:

Kabooby :)

Personally I wouldn't freeze beer. Dont see the need. The beer will keep fine at cooler temps as long as your sanitising is up to scratch.

But hey I have never tried so who knows.

If you do decide to freeze it I would not keep the lids loose. This is asking for an infection. The beer should be kept under C02 in a sealed enviroment.

Could always buy more kegs :rolleyes:

Kabooby :)

I'd only be cracking the lids slightly open to let air out while freezing, there shouldn't be much chance of infection inside the deep freeze and since the beer has already finished fermenting. Once the beer has frozen wouldn't any infection be quickly killed off anyway?

Buying more kegs would be good but that doesn't solve my problem as don't have anywhere cool to store them. They'd have to stay in my hot garage over summer until there is fridge space & I'm ready to drink. :(

I'm considering putting away a few fully fermented brews until summer and was wondering about storing them in cubes or jerry cans in our deep freezer as I don't have enough kegs or fridge space otherwise.

Apart from the expansion issue while freezing (I'll leave lid loose and won't overfill) would there be any detrimental effects of freezing the beer for 6 months or so and then thawing and kegging it?

Freezing beer <_<

It will be a very clear looking beer when defrosted ;)

I'd only be cracking the lids slightly open to let air out while freezing, there shouldn't be much chance of infection inside the deep freeze and since the beer has already finished fermenting. Once the beer has frozen wouldn't any infection be quickly killed off anyway?

Buying more kegs would be good but that doesn't solve my problem as don't have anywhere cool to store them. They'd have to stay in my hot garage over summer until there is fridge space & I'm ready to drink. :(

Infections don't get killed by the cold; they just go to sleep.

Infections don't get killed by the cold; they just go to sleep.

Ok, well forgetting about my intended methods and chances of infection for the moment then.. anyone out there frozen their beer intentionally & successfully?

Back