Stock Ales And Brett.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acoulson

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately about doing a 18th Century British Stock Ale.

Some questions;

Has anyone had any experience with Brettanomyces?

- Did you use a mixed primary with sacc. and Brett or add secondary or priming?
- I've heard that its difficult to control because it sensitive and soon changes to oxidative resp. to form acetic acid
- Any ideas for sauitable strains and propogatoion methods or dry yeast?

In general, what kind of mash schedule and grain bill have you heard or tried. I heard they were dry hopped, quite strong and bitter. I also heard that the closet modern beer is ORVAL.

I would be greatful for any input or other ideas,

Cheers,
Adam

Wow- I've read articles with references to Claussen's paper before but never seen the whole actual paper.

I'll print it out and have a good read now. Thank you.

Brettanomyces claussenii is the strain meant to be originally isolated from english stock beers.

I have an old ale in a keg atm that I fermented with WY1469 and added the whole vial of brett C to the keg after primary had finished. It has sat there for 4 months not doing anyhting and the last few weeks I have started to vent the keg. Looks like something is starting to happen.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Brettanomyces claussenii is the strain meant to be originally isolated from english stock beers.

I have an old ale in a keg atm that I fermented with WY1469 and added the whole vial of brett C to the keg after primary had finished. It has sat there for 4 months not doing anyhting and the last few weeks I have started to vent the keg. Looks like something is starting to happen.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Ahh... This is exactly what I am looking at doing. Can I ask a few more details?

I'm guessing you used standard isothermal mashing at 65. Is that right?

What was your OG, your gravity on pitching the Brett. and what kind of FG are you expecting?

Did you dry hop?

Anything out of the ordinary with your grain bill?

Your old ale sounds promising. You must be looking forward to seeing that typical big 'Rocky' Brett. head on your first glass when you pour it. :icon_drool2:

Ahh... This is exactly what I am looking at doing. Can I ask a few more details?

I'm guessing you used standard isothermal mashing at 65. Is that right?

What was your OG, your gravity on pitching the Brett. and what kind of FG are you expecting?

Did you dry hop?

Anything out of the ordinary with your grain bill?

Your old ale sounds promising. You must be looking forward to seeing that typical big 'Rocky' Brett. head on your first glass when you pour it. :icon_drool2:

It was a beer brewed by another brewer so I am not sure how it was mashed. I think the grain bill was just pale and amber malt. OG was only 1058 so I bumbed it up with 1kg of dark brown sugar to give some molasses treacle type flavours. This would have given me an OG of 1078. FG when kegged was 1017 which is when I added the vial of Brett C.

I haven't taken a gravity reading lately and I have no idea how low it is going to go. The brett character atm is subtle at best and the dark brown sugar came through more than I wanted. Saying that I guess these are all good indicators that the beer will only get better with time.

I am trying not to sample it to much. I don't want it to start tasting great and only have a few glasses left.

Kabooby :)

It was a beer brewed by another brewer so I am not sure how it was mashed. I think the grain bill was just pale and amber malt. OG was only 1058 so I bumbed it up with 1kg of dark brown sugar to give some molasses treacle type flavours. This would have given me an OG of 1078. FG when kegged was 1017 which is when I added the vial of Brett C.

I haven't taken a gravity reading lately and I have no idea how low it is going to go. The brett character atm is subtle at best and the dark brown sugar came through more than I wanted. Saying that I guess these are all good indicators that the beer will only get better with time.

I am trying not to sample it to much. I don't want it to start tasting great and only have a few glasses left.

Kabooby :)
Thanks for the extra info. Your right to wait- but it tests your patience doesn't it... and your willpower! :beerbang:

Thanks Kirem. That's an awesome article. Could I trouble you for a full citation?

jj.

This should give you enough info to use it as reference.

1904, in the UK's Journal of the Institute of
Brewing (308, 10, 1904) ( www.ibd.org.uk ). This was the text of a
paper that Mr Claussen presented at the Brewers' Hall, in London, in
April, 1904, entitled "On a Method for the Application of Hansen's
Pure Yeast System in the Manufacturing of Well-Conditioned English
Stock Beers".

Latest posts

Back