Sterilising Equipment and Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petescoupe68

Reaction score
So I have been given conflicting advice on sterilising products. One bloke says "only use the no rinse steriliser, other stuff is crap" then the next bloke says "only use the clean and sterilise in one product as it's superior to anything else".
Well which is better? Advice please?????

You didn't get this advice from the FB group did you? Because the next next bloke recommends metho... Anyway.

Neither will sterilise, but will sanitise. The difference in sanitising is that almost everything is killed. Sterilisation is a 100% destruction of all living cells, usually via high heat and pressure treatments (ie autoclave or ovens).

I use a no rinse sanitiser, but prior to that I'll clean with whatever is appropriate at the time. That might be detergent and a cloth, or sodium percarbonate, or bleach, or a iterative combo of some or all. I don't think I'd use an all in one cleaner/sanitiser, and I don't think an all in one product would be superior to anything else, but this is just yet another opinion from some guy on the interwebs.

Advice? Clean well, use starsan.

I've been drinking for 50 years, so whatever the brewery's use and my home brew of sodium perc or bleach and starsan hasnt killed me yet , although could that be the cause of the condition I end up in. :)

Hahahaha!! I'm not going to even ask what condition you're likely to end up in.......
So the no rinse it is, just coz it's easier.
Cheers Gentlemen

I've been using Sod Perc to clean for years, and Starsan to sanitize for just as long. I recommend it highly

Latest posts

Back