Stepping Process.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just ordered my some ingrediants for my 1st Malt Extract & Mini Mash weat beer.
It is here.. http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMonth/riggers_wit.htm

this is the start of the process.

"
Base Malt - 1500gms Light Barley Malt Extract
1500gms Light Wheat Malt Extract
Mini mash - 1000gms Torrefied Wheat
Put 3 litres of cold water in a saucepan and add grains and heat up VERY SLOWLY (over a 25 to 30 minute period) until just short of boiling. Strain the liquid and put into a saucepan for the boil, discard the grain residue.
"

The last brew i did i steped ( i think that the correct term for soaking grain. ) in a grain bag for a long time whilst heating up about 10 L of water in my kettle then removing the grain bag. I have a big kettle so i needed allot of water to cover the grain bag. then proceeded to a normal boil.

I was thinking that this is the same process and i should just treat this brew like my last.

Just wanted to check my thaughts.
Cheers

vicelore -

mate, I'm afraid that isn't going to work for you at all.

The difference between a "mini/partial mash" and steeping is the sort of grains that you are using.

In Steeping, you are using grains that have already had all their starch turned into sugar by the Maltster. All you have to do, is to crush them up and give them a soak to dissolve out the sugars and the grains.

In a min mash you are using different grains, ones that have much if not all of their original starch content still present as starch. It needs to be converted by you into sugar - the process for doing that is the "mash" part.

To successfully do a mash, you need grain that has active enzymes. That's your malted barley or wheat. Once you soak the grain in water at the right temperature, the enzymes in the grain convert all the starch into sugar. Then you can boil it and use it in your wort.

Unfortunately what you have, is some extract - which has no enzymes, but also no starch - and you have some torrified wheat, which has loads of starch, but unfortunately, no enzymes at all. The only thing that will happen if you try to mash that wheat, is that it will go soggy and when you strain the liquid off it,it will give your beer a nasty starchy flavour and a killer dose of starch haze.

You need to include some "base malt" such as Pale Ale or Pilsner malt - about 1 KG would do the trick. Instead of some of your barley malt extract.

The there is the technique you mention - which would probably work... but its a pretty rough and ready version of a mini mash. There are better methods out there if you look.

I think that there is a guide to Partial or Mini mashing in the wikki (articles) section of AHB - have a look there for a better method. And also, you need a little brush up on brewing theory to avoid stuff like this in the future. I strongly suggest you go to www.howtobrew.com and have a good read of the very very good guide to homebrewing you will find there. It includes all the theory and a bunch of techniques for extract, partial and All Grain brewing.

In the meantime - dont make that beer. Leave out the torrified wheat altogether and just add some more barley extract for an all extract brew.

Cheers

Thirsty

PS - I just followed your G&G link. I know its a Riggers recipe from their site. But there is a typo or some other F/up. The "Base Malt - 1500gms Light Barley Malt Extract" should be Pale Malt or Pilsner malt... grains not extract.

Iv just been reading the BIAB sticky article. And it looks like they just do a boil in the kettle with some grain in a bag ( i take it its the same grain used in AG ) for 90 mins.
You DON'T want to boil the grain. Brings out serious tannins out of the grain, very nasty.

You steep the grain in water at a temperature around 67 degrees and keep it at the temp for 90 minutes...well maybe not that long, but it'll do.

Then the steeped liquid from the grain is what you boil, with no contact with the grain, and you add your hops to that.

Check out the BIAB articles and you'll find out the process in more detail.

Sorry guys.

I just re read thirsty boys thread and it all clicked... different grains = different process...

ill look into the ingredients and process a little more.

Also on another note if your wheat malt extract is liquid malt extract, its probably not all wheat, usually around 50% wheat 50% barley, so keep this in mind when planning your wheat to barley malt ratio. If on the other hand its dry malt extract, its all wheat.

Also on another note if your wheat malt extract is liquid malt extract, its probably not all wheat, usually around 50% wheat 50% barley, so keep this in mind when planning your wheat to barley malt ratio. If on the other hand its dry malt extract, its all wheat.

Your lucky. Over here it is just dried liquid with the barley in it. You sure? If they malt 100% wheat why do they not sell liquid?

Ill tell you guys what it tastes like next week.. cant wait.

Back