STC Probe in Mash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
quick question, designing/building a BIAB kettle.

don't want to install a thermowell thermometer as it'll foul the bag.

Is a STC probe ok to just throw in the mash? or does anyone have a nifty method for dangling a candy thermometer in the kettle as I ramp up to mash temp? STC probe would also be good to keep an eye on mash temp when it's wrapped up..

cheers

I used to just dangle my stc probe into the kettle when biabing. Seemed to work fine. Just keep it on the outside of bag when stirring or it tends to get in the way.

looks great, but i'm not planning any mash heating (ie false bottom) so something like that will tear the bag.

but i'll keep that link for other purposes...

I keep the probe in the kettle when BIABing, works great and can be clearly seen from a distance. Would be a good idea to calibrate it first though, I hear can can be out by a few degrees.

printed forms section said:
looks great, but i'm not planning any mash heating (ie false bottom) so something like that will tear the bag.

but i'll keep that link for other purposes...
I used the same probe for BIAB and no problems with tearing the bag, the end isn't as sharp as it looks

I have my STC-1000 probe siliconed in to a stainless end plug that goes in to a T-piece as part of my Recirc loop, it gets very very wet... No issues at all so far.

Dropped my other StC-1000 probe straigt in the kettle with the coil and thats fine as well.

Unlike my more expensive BBQ meat thermometer probes which all shat themselves when i got them wet :huh:

Will be replacing the STC-1000 with a PID though.. The temperature fluctuations I get out of the kettle are too big....

I've been doing it for years, never had an issue with the probe being dropped directly into it.

I even had it in my HERMS for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwQd-tH-EUY&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLHcpV7C9y3qU

Latest posts

Back