Star San

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Iodophor, even tho it was a bitch for me to get it in NZ, now that ive found some im never looking back...

You guys have no excuse seeing as most lhbs sell them! :rolleyes:

Why not try Iodophor? I have used it for years without one single infection. Its cheaper than starsan and also requires a lower concentration to get the job done.

+1 This stuff is great.

Why not try Iodophor? I have used it for years without one single infection. Its cheaper than starsan and also requires a lower concentration to get the job done.

I've stored mixed star san in a sealed plastic pail for up to a year and it was still effective. I once stored a mixed pail of iodophor for 9 months and I almost threw up when I opened it up.

The entire volume beneath the water line was full of........I honestly don't know what they were. They kind of looked like a cross between a jellyfish and a mushroom. Deep brown in colour. All sorts of sizes, from maybe 10cm across to tiny. Thousands of them. I switched to star san that day and haven't ever had anything living in my sanitiser pail since.

That said, I never had an infection when I did use iodophor. But that experience made me switch and I'll never go back.

Hey NG, I've found that dilute iodophor tends to lose its effectiveness within a week anyway as can be noted by the amber colour fading which I always take for a visual indicator.

Kept under CO2 pressure in a keg it always seems to last longer.

Dunno about a year though. Sounds like you made iodophor Lambic. :lol:

Warren -

Yes you certainly can't leave iodophor in solution or it will lose its sanitary power quite quickly. The old rule of thumb is when it is no longer the orangy yellow colour its no longer effective. Then its just like water. Store water in a sealed drum for 12 months and I'd say you'd get pretty similar results.

I use iodophor and just mix some new stuff each time. At the price and concentration of iodophor there's little point in re-using a million times. Having said that I have re-used the same solution a few times over a couple of days with no trouble.

Hi all,

just wondering starsan vs iodophor - is starsan as safe as iodophor to handle? I mean can you stick your hand into a bucket of this stuff and not have it melt your arm off?

when I use iodophor, I tend to spray and splash it about pretty liberally...

Cheers

Hi all,

just wondering starsan vs iodophor - is starsan as safe as iodophor to handle? I mean can you stick your hand into a bucket of this stuff and not have it melt your arm off?

when I use iodophor, I tend to spray and splash it about pretty liberally...

Cheers

I get it all over my hands when bottling and over most of my arms when using it on my fermenter. I've never had any problems with it. It is pretty dilute when mixed up as per directions. As long as it is washed off after you complete what you are doing I can see any problems with it. It doesn't appear to stain anything either.

Does dilution/mixing rate really come into it? i meen i havent gone through a bottle of starsan in 2 years,with a ratio of 1.5ml of starsan to 1l of water the shit lasts yonks.Froths up like a slug with salt on it,great stuff,no rinse,no taste,no pain,i only ever use a 1 litre mix when i brew and 1 litre mix when i bottle. Thats 3ml of starsan per brew/bottle total!

Back