Stalled or finished? Green apple inside.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a weak as false Lager (Ale yeast) going for the megaswill drinkers and can't work out if I've reached terminal gravity or my fermentation is stalled.

It's a cerveza kit I threw together really quick here's the recipe
1 x Coopers Mexican Cerveza tin (1.7kg)
200g Dextrose
1kg Rice malt

Now Ian's Spreadsheet predicted an fg of 1.006 but it hasn't moved past 1.010 for several days. Now considering I had to enter the rice malt using my own values could this be contributing to a slightly higher fg than predicted? The gravity isn't what has me thinking stall it's the green apple in all my hydro samples. Every sample I've taken has had green apple however the one I took today a tiny bit less. It's been fermenting for 13 days and for the first week I had it held at around 18 degrees C, then the last week it's crept down to 16ish and that's why I was slightly worried. The yeast is two packets of coopers kit yeast because I had it lying around.

Any suggestions here guys? I've tried warming it up for short amounts of time but it hasn't seemed to help the fg or green apple

Green apple is an indicator of acetaldehyde and generally patience is your friend in that regard. 1010 is very likely finished but extra time in contact with the yeast should see the acetaldehyde dissipate.

manticle said:
Green apple is an indicator of acetaldehyde and generally patience is your friend in that regard. 1010 is very likely finished but extra time in contact with the yeast should see the acetaldehyde dissipate.
Thanks manticle I did read up on the cause of acetaldehyde was more wondering if it sounds like it's going to go away and will it go away at 16°C? I'm trying to warm it up a tad but assuming I don't? Also would you wait till the taste is gone before cold crashing?

Yes I would wait. It needs active yeast - cold will put the yeast to sleep.

Why not bump up to 20c if you have a heat pad/belt for a few days and see if it moves? Shouldn't have a negative effect on taste

I would but I don't have a heat pad or anything, I'm thinking I might move it into the shed for a few days while we have the good weather, hopefully it can keep it somewhat constant

The cerveza yeast is a lager yeast and will work fine at 16c. Leave it be for a while longer.

yum beer said:
The cerveza yeast is a lager yeast and will work fine at 16c. Leave it be for a while longer.
Read the question, he used Cooper yeast ;)
Your higher finishing gravity is maybe due to the yeast choice, but not knowing it's characteristics or the health/viability of it when you pitched, I'd try & get it up to 20c+ in temp for another week & see what happens.

Cheers Ross

Back