Stainless Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wortgames said:
Welding any type of stainless lid directly to the fermenter body is not ideal, as it makes it very difficult to get in there to inspect and polish the inner welds and you will end up with bugtraps.

Yeah, I guess it would be easier if you were welding the cone to the cylinder like in Hoops pics, or can you source a single piece for this?

wg, If you were to use a weldless fitting you would have to disassemble it every single time to clean and sanitize each individual piece. Any thoughts to welding the valves?

jimmyjack said:
wg, If you were to use a weldless fitting you would have to disassemble it every single time to clean and sanitize each individual piece. Any thoughts to welding the valves?
[post="82236"][/post]​
That is why I suggest either a 1/2" BSM fitting welded on or a 1/2" triclove fitting welded on. That way a ball valve or triclove fitting can simply be connected to it.

Triclove are better for brewing applications for a few reasons. There is no thread so less chance of trapping bugs, plus it is 2 ferrules that connect together so there is no male or female side so they are much more interchangeable.

Hoops

The bottom spigot will be welded into the design with a removable valve. I am tempted not to fit a side spigot at all at this stage, as people will have different preferences and at the end of the day it should be possible to remove all sediment through the bottom valve before racking and kegging anyway. The rotating racking arm design uses a weldless fitting that just mounts through a hole, so it would be pointless welding a side spigot to them all, and I'd prefer to make 20 basic fermenters than one with all the bells and whistles. That way, if I run out of favours all we need to do is get a spigot welded or a hole drilled if we want a side port.

If you are going to the effort of making a conical then you might as well make it as sanitary as possible. Weldless fittings are bug traps (I'm with you hoops) even the bottom should be a sanitary connection then leave it up to the purchaser to buy the valve to go on the bottom. Threads internally are not sanitary, how many times do people get infections from tap threads with plastic fermenters unless you pull them apart every time and clean them

lol Borret!

my dream is a 60L conical
maybe cooling coil as an aftermarket or make your own
also maybe the 30L ones should be able to go in the fridge.
i'm happy to supply my own legs/base for it.
probably save on frieght also
happy if it takes a standard size plastic lid or something similar

The conicals are getting closer guys. Spent most of the day today getting some details sorted out, it's all looking good.

Hopefully we will have a prototype built within a week or so, and we should be able to get the price down to quite a sensible level.

Will let you know as soon as I have some previews.

Wortgames said:
The conicals are getting closer guys. Spent most of the day today getting some details sorted out, it's all looking good.

Hopefully we will have a prototype built within a week or so, and we should be able to get the price down to quite a sensible level.

Will let you know as soon as I have some previews.
[post="83987"][/post]​

Thanks WG, looking forward to it! :beer:

Cheers Wortgames.
Xmas present wishlist on hold pending your updates :p

Doc

looks like i will need to be saving more money to spend on a conical. :D

cheers
big d

I'm still interested in looking into conicals... any movement on thes WG?

Actually I started another thread since - sorry about that, not sure why I did that.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=7442

I also replied in this thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13163

The situation is basically that progress has 'stalled' for the time being - I have a lot of the materials here (actually a small fortune worth), but my mate the tigger has been through a lot of jobs lately and so his access to things like jigs hasn't been stable enough to get stuck into assembling them. He is also a new dad to a child with an 'assertive' mum so I guess his priorities lie elsewhere.

We have recently been discussing the option of using his trade contacts to get the basic bodies produced commercially to our specs, and then just doing the tricky work like fittings ourselves which would need little or no jigging. This could actually work out to be a smart move commercially too if the numbers are enough to get the per-unit production costs down. I will definitely bring it up with him again and try to get the ball rolling, I'm as keen as anyone to get these things happening but circumstances are conspiring against me at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder though ;)

Back