Stainless Bolts Or Rod. Bunnings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zinc washers in my aluminium HLT with brass locknuts and brass all thread corrode. Not sure of the oxidation/reduction relationship between zinc and whatever other metals are in your vessel but that would be one thing to watch for. If the metals are all the same, you shouldn't have that issue (and with ss not at all).

Are there any health problems with zinc though?

My searches keep bringing up zinc as a substance in food.

I'm still alive.

Sorry mate, not sure but none that I'm aware of. Too much is toxic to yeast and far too much is toxic to us but beyond that I can't say.

To make me look smart, I googled zinc toxicity - most of it is to do with deficiency and dietary sources but there is a section on toxicity - seems the effects are reasonably quickly manifested.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/zinc-HealthProfessional/

and a journal article

http://www.ajcn.org/content/51/2/225.full.pdf+html

If concerned, find out from someone who knows or stick with SS.

See link I posted above. $33 for a metre of 304, or double the price for 316.

View attachment 54291
Cheers but I'm trying to find a larger thread size eg not allthread - it is for a little fruit press and that fine thread will mean lots of turns to compress the fruit!

Are there any health problems with zinc though?

My searches keep bringing up zinc as a substance in food.
given galv metal can give off toxic gas (zinc oxide) when heated i certainly wouldnt be sucking on a galv bolt or sticking it in my tun - link. just my opinion

Is using zinc a bad idea? I can easily source the perfect sized bolts and nuts if its ok to use.

Not sure about health effects of zinc, but once you strip the zinc off you'll start leaching iron into your mash. Probably won't taste too good.

I can totally vouch for the nuts bolts screws online place (NO AFFILIATION!)

I bought all my stainless for my single vessel from them. Very professional (except for their payment system - do direct deposit as no security on their webpage). The stuff arrived in 3 days. High quality indeed!

Bunnings DO sell the stainless threaded rod in metric sizes, but you are paying less than half (including delivery) to get it from nutsboltsscrews as it was ludicrously expensive at bunnings for the same product.

my 2c

Righto - SUCCESS!

Have managed to find the one and only business in my feral hick town that does decent size SS nuts and bolts.

Ive just purchased 4, 12mm x 100mm, SS bolts, nuts and washers to fit so i can elevate my mash basket from my single vessel build thread so i dont need to use the colander over the elements.

I will put this in a new thread later this evening, but i will now have for sale a metre length of SS 12mm threaded rod. Its gonna cost me $35 (its coming overnight from adelaide).

Ill probably try and sell it for $15 plus freight???.

Now ive found the bolts, i wont be needing it. Might be useful for a centre rod for a braumeister clone?

Anyway, ill start a thread about it. For now, im chuffed as it means i should be able to brew tomorrow! Happy fuckin' days!

Thanks to everyone for answering and giving help!

Not sure about health effects of zinc, but once you strip the zinc off you'll start leaching iron into your mash. Probably won't taste too good.
Earlier today I told my mother that a blood-test showed I have too much iron in my blood, the first thing she said: "Does beer have lots of iron in it?" ... maybe she was onto something, since she kept insisting even after I explained it was mostly water and grains (even the "like bread" analogy didn't work).

Back