Spraying My Beer Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, very shiny B) .

I've also got the charcoal/gun metal gray hammertone finish White Knight epoxy enamel.(haven't sprayed the fridge yet) Love to see a pic of your mates one too! The whole reason I picked the hammertone finish is as you said it hides a lot of mistakes/laziness, exactly suited to me :D

I'm also going to spray it with the compressor. (as soon as I fix a busted seal and get a new oil/water separator also broken) I'm suprised you used 2L to spray it. I've only got 1L and I thought I'd have some left. Did you thin it out and if so at what ratio?

Mornin' Pumpy,

I used to two pack spray for several years and that will certainly give you the best and most durable finish but it'll be hard and inconvenient (possible expensive) to get your fridge off to a shop or to do it yourself at home.

I have used the spray can you mention (actually used it on my beer fridge) but you need a heap of cans and it's a pretty average finish.

I recently did my desk though with another paint and it came up tops.

It is Dulux Super Enamel. Get yourself a blue foam roller and this paint lays extremely flat. I actually used it to match a two-packed bookcase and it is very difficult to tell the difference between the two. In fact, this enamel using that roller actually layed flatter than the two-pack (not sprayed by me, by the way - I spray flat!)

One litre of this should paint your fridge no worries. I was very surprised at how well this came up and will probably re-do my fridge in it.

Spot ya,
Pat

I'm suprised you used 2L to spray it. I've only got 1L and I thought I'd have some left. Did you thin it out and if so at what ratio?
Uh sorry, it was 1L of ultra enamel high gloss( 2L did sound like alot)about 1/4 tin left.I did thin it but couldnt give you a ratio as I started out only just being able to get it thru the gun to cover mistakes/laziness on the 1st coat,to just coloured thinners for the last.

i may be digging this thread up from who nows how long ago but i found this interesting as i am in the position of doing the same I'm half way through finishing my re spray on my fridge...

was going to spray it with dulux rust guard white gloss enamel with my bosses HVLP ( high volume low pressure ) spray gun we use at work for alot of stuff like doors ETC ( as i am i painter )
I may use a dark tint in the paint like a jet black or something so it really stands out.
thought id post some pictures up of it getting prepd up before a slap paint.

this is the fridge
taped
grinding the rust back off it
a solid etch primer out of a can.
now to light sand an top coat and i have a smicko like new fridge with no more rust.
ill post pictures of done fridge when it eventually gets sprayed.

Image036.jpg

Image037.jpg

Image039.jpg

Coincidence, but I sprayed my fridge today too...
Just did it with a can, and it came out pretty crap with lots of drips but I'm not too precious about it.
Just needed to hide the rust :lol:

P1190008.JPG

P1190009.JPG

did you sand the rust back or treat the rust ??

if not the rust will bleed back through your paint.

did you sand the rust back or treat the rust ??

if not the rust will bleed back through your paint.

Yeah, rubbed it back enough I think.
If this fridge is still running by the time the rust comes back through, then I'll be happy!

haha should be sweet then mate. only problem i can see with some peoples re sprays is no undercoats......

you need a good etch to really give the top coats ( enamels ) adhesion to stick too..... a gloss enamel wont stick that well to a lightly sanded fridge....

mind you i do this stuff for a living and am very fussy i guess its just a bar fridge lol.

anyway cheers steve

I just painted my chest freezer with chalk paint (black). Now I can write all over it, and the kids can too! Washed off, it is matte black.

When I had a fridge I did exactly that. Then you can change the name over the tap, when you change beers. If youre a good artist, your fridge is your canvas. Even had some fun with my mates names on it and a dash for every beer they drink. Do with the results what you want ;)

My local Crazy Clark's has a small chalk board just now for about $5. From memory it's about 16" x 10".
At the moment I just have it propped up on top of the fridge but when I paint mine I will probably attach it to the door above the taps.

You would probably get it in your local cheap shop, Warehouse, Dollars and Cents, etc...

Campbell
sanded back, rust proofed, silver hammerite, hand painted.

you need a good etch to really give the top coats ( enamels ) adhesion to stick too..... a gloss enamel wont stick that well to a lightly sanded fridge....

Found that one out. I sanded back and attempted to brush some silver paint on my fridge, all i succeeded to do was push it around the surface.
Changed to a roller and despite it not sticking well, it made a fantastic glavanised look. probably looks better that the flat colour started out.

Then again the quality of the job was not a real issue as it was only my fermentation fridge... :p what is the old line... you are not a homebrewer until.....

I am considering spraying my beer fridge Black to accentuate the gold on my Celli taps to improve the 'Bling Factor'

I have been looking at White Knight paints Fridge and Appliance Finish which is an extremely high quality acrylic spray pain that reproduces the the look of new white goods .

available in Black, white, silver or vanilla

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/produc...ppliance-finish

Has anyone any experience in spray painting thier fridge ?

Pumpy :)
Pumpy i have been a qualified spray painter for 12 years, go to a panel shop and ask for a painter maybe a smaller shop and ask do you you do cashes or drink beer you can get alot done for a price for a slab,I would do it for free if you lived near me,I have all black two pack keg fridge and fermenter freezer,looks trick.

I am considering spraying my beer fridge Black to accentuate the gold on my Celli taps to improve the 'Bling Factor'

I have been looking at White Knight paints Fridge and Appliance Finish which is an extremely high quality acrylic spray pain that reproduces the the look of new white goods .

available in Black, white, silver or vanilla

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/produc...ppliance-finish

Has anyone any experience in spray painting thier fridge ?

Pumpy :) Dude I have been painting for twelve years ,my advise is go to a panel shop an ask for a painters advice,then ask does any one that he knows that does cashes like paint a fridge ,I do, you can get heaps of stuff done for a price of a slab or a sample of a brew,Mine are are all gloss black 2 pack Autothane PPG its a cheaper comercial line 30 bucks a ltr see how you go.

If you're going to paint it silver or black with spray cans, you might as well just cover it in duct tape, it always comes up shit with spray cans anyway. Me and my mates were painting and touching up cars 15+ years ago with cans, unless you spend a lot of time rubbing back, it's never good.
I bought a crappy air compressor and gravity fed HVLP gun from supercheap ages ago but haven't got around to spray my cars.
Recently my mrs wrote off the front bumper on the falcon. So I bought a new grey bumper for $160 and used my kit to respray it. Big learning lesson as it's the first time I used the gear, but after I had a few attempts, the metallic red went on OK (thick enough to smooth itself, not too thick to run), then spray with clear.
Unbelievably easy, no need to rub back between coats, no need to cut back afterwards. Came out pretty much like two pack does when you do it right.
OK, it took me a few days to learn how to set the gun up, and I ended up doing 5 coats instead of three, and doing a few rub backs because I caused runs. But in the end I learnt a lot and got a finish that you can't ever get from spray cans, no matter how much more time and money you spend with the cans and sandpaper.

Pumpy i have been a qualified spray painter for 12 years, go to a panel shop and ask for a painter maybe a smaller shop and ask do you you do cashes or drink beer you can get alot done for a price for a slab,I would do it for free if you lived near me,I have all black two pack keg fridge and fermenter freezer,looks trick.

Yes Sav ,I want to spray it black but I am unsure what to do about the fridge rubber seal which is grey !!!

will the paint harden the rubber ?

it cost me $70 the last time for a new rubber seal !! and I dont want to stuff up the seal

Pumpy :unsure:

If you're going to paint it silver or black with spray cans, you might as well just cover it in duct tape, it always comes up shit with spray cans anyway. Me and my mates were painting and touching up cars 15+ years ago with cans, unless you spend a lot of time rubbing back, it's never good.
I bought a crappy air compressor and gravity fed HVLP gun from supercheap ages ago but haven't got around to spray my cars.
Recently my mrs wrote off the front bumper on the falcon. So I bought a new grey bumper for $160 and used my kit to respray it. Big learning lesson as it's the first time I used the gear, but after I had a few attempts, the metallic red went on OK (thick enough to smooth itself, not too thick to run), then spray with clear.
Unbelievably easy, no need to rub back between coats, no need to cut back afterwards. Came out pretty much like two pack does when you do it right.
OK, it took me a few days to learn how to set the gun up, and I ended up doing 5 coats instead of three, and doing a few rub backs because I caused runs. But in the end I learnt a lot and got a finish that you can't ever get from spray cans, no matter how much more time and money you spend with the cans and sandpaper.

Paul how long do you have to leave the paint to dry between coats ?

Pumpy :)

h paul,

i recently sprayed a 5 yr old fridge that i picked up for a $100 (rusted and dinted) and still in great working order.

i pulled the door off, removed the seal and masked the inside of the door (including where the seal sits) and the inside of the fridge, sprayed it with 3 coats of killrust (thru a star gun) after some heavy sanding and it came up a treat.

removed all the masking, re attached the seal and door. now hooked up with a "fridge mate" it is great

Pumpy: I am a profesional spray painter of 20 years, what you need to know is there are many types of paint products out there. Some products sympily won't go over the top of other paint productes.

Most fridges are painted in an industrial coating called enamel. Enamel is a chep paint product, that if sprayed & cuered at low temperatures ( as they usely are) are difficut to reaply over the top of. Resulting in paint sensertivety, or a frying or bubbling efect as the new paint is applyed. If I were you, I would poferably strip the fridge of all the oridginal paint to beer metal or use an appropiate paint product such as the enamal the fridge was oridgionaly painted in. As for the White Night paint productes you refer to they need to be an air dry enamal if you are reaplyinmg over the top of the existing paint.

Don't worry about painting. Glue some timber flooring onto the barstad!. Did this last week
ebay_partnership_044.jpg

Back