Splitting The Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
I have to admit i didn't know how to search this topic. :unsure:

I'm planning to do 68l batches instead of 44l ones. That will give me a fermentor with two kegs in it and a cube with a standard batch for later fermenting for the same time outlay as a 44l batch. ATM starting with American Pale Ale.

My mate wants to be able to drink allgrain too, but doesn't have the equipment, time, inclination etc, although he's happy to chip in for materials.

So the plan is to give him a cube now and then to take home and ferment and bottle at his leisure.

I've been reading the late addition hops stuff as it relates to cubing and everything else about no chill i can find. The way around the regular hops schedule i figured would work would be to delay the regular hop additions by 15 mins, drain into a cube at 60 mins and continue to boil for an extra 15 mins then i can put my flameout hops in and all will be sweet.

Meantime the cube has all the hops adjusted correctly but is missing the flameout addition.

Here's the rub. I don't reckon my mate will be the least bit interested in doing a partial boil for the late hops and calculating temps or cooling ect.

So, my question is;

Can i give him a measured quantity of hops for a dry hopping addition to the fermentor in a hop sock?

Will this be at all similar to a flameout addition for aroma?

Although the two beers will be slightly different will they still be similar?

Is there a better method/has someone already solved this question? :)

Appreciate advice here. Cheers

So is it that no-one knows the answer or have i asked a question that is too obvious or posted in the wrong forum? :huh:

Hey Punkin,

You would normally extract both flavour and aroma from your late boil additions (more flavour and less aroma from @15mins additions, and less flavour and more aroma from @0min additions), due to your hops being in contact with the boiling wort. However, dry hopping will only extract only aroma from your hops.

Get your mate to try putting his late hop additions into a French Press (coffee plunger) with a litre of boiling water and tablespoon of LDME (to assist with hop extraction) then let it sit for the desired boil time i.e. 15, 10, 5 or 0mins, then pour it into your fermenter just before pitching your yeast. He could even do multiple additions using this method. I No Chill and have tried this method before and it works well.

Cheers
Simon

If it were me that was brewing and chilling my wort i'd just give the mate the cube and accept that the beer is going to be different.

Try cube hopping. It can give some pretty good results, with a particular deep flavour and reasonable (although not too punchy aroma). The dry hopping will of course increase the aroma, but it will be different to a flameout addition where heat will solubolise the volatile oils into the hot wort.

Thanks guys, i will start off with the expectation of difference and see how he goes from there. Not sure if he'd muck around with the coffee plunger setup, he's more likely to be drinking it out of the fermenter :lol:

I hope your mate is going to help you with the brewing now and then, or at least help cleanup but it sounds to me like he wants you to deliver fresh wort kits to him. Sounds like you are a good mate.

Back