Specific Gravity Drop.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Guys im still very much learning and on saturday put on a Laughing Heart IPA from Charles Papazian 'The complete joy of Homebrewing'. It had an OG target of 1.058 - 1.066. Mine finished up at 1.069 which I wasnt to worried about. The Wyeast American Ale sweld up well in the packet and I pitched at 22C which I thought was ok. After two days the SG has dropped to 1.030. Is a drop of this much ok in such a short period of time. Ive not used liquid yeasts too many times and thought I may just be down to that.
??

No problem, pleny of ales will brew out in 3-4 days especially with a healthy yeast.

Thanks Yum beer that has put my mind at ease.

The faster the better if you ask me! That drop sounds very normally to me with that yeast

Guys im still very much learning and on saturday put on a Laughing Heart IPA from Charles Papazian 'The complete joy of Homebrewing'. It had an OG target of 1.058 - 1.066. Mine finished up at 1.069 which I wasnt to worried about. The Wyeast American Ale sweld up well in the packet and I pitched at 22C which I thought was ok. After two days the SG has dropped to 1.030. Is a drop of this much ok in such a short period of time. Ive not used liquid yeasts too many times and thought I may just be down to that.
??

The greater concern is your pitching temp (18 good, especially in the first few days) and yeast quantity.
From a pitched liquid smack pack the most yeast you could possibly have would be 100 billion cells from memory. thats good for ales in the 1040 -1050 ish range from memory. being you have a higher gravity your yeastys will need to multiply more to ferment the beer.

resulting in more yeasty replication flavours, fruitier (yeast sex, well not quite but). the fact your doing an IPA with lots of hops i assume will help to mask some of these flavours. Some replications flavours are wanted but too much of a good thing...

have a look at http://yeastcalc.com from some info about yeast pitching rates, Its probably a head **** at this early stage but its a valuable resource as you get more into the hobby.

Dont cool the beer down to 18 now that'll only encourage the yeast to drop out and go to sleep.

hope i dont sound like a downer just a couple points to consider when your brewing your next beer.

Guys thanks for all the feed back ive been out of the brewing circle for nearly two years as ive been working away from home and im working hard to refresh alot of the things that I learnt, but still have soooo much more to learn. Charst thanks for all the great feed back and no you dont sound like a downer, all constructive feed back is most welcome. I took a look at the link for the yeast cals and have save them to memory. Down the track I hope to get a better understanding of the dark arts of yeast, I get that for high SG brews i need a really healthy and well populated yeast but am in the dark as to work out how I know if I have a big enough yeast. I had started to harvest yeast when I was brewing alot but never really understood the principles behind yeast volumes. I would just take a yeast sample that I had harvested and regrow it a few times increasing its size each time and then pitch. Probably sounds a bit naive but it always seemed to work. I really want to harvest the yeast from this IPA so i will have to read up and remind myself how to harvest and wash yeast cake. And maybe the next time I use it I will have a better idea of how much or what population size I will need for the brew im putting on.
Thanks again guys.
It really great to read all your thoughts.

Also Guys.

The brew is already down to 1.021 with the recipe target of 1.015 - 1.023 and its only Tusday. Normally I would rack my brews out before they are finally fermented but probably wont get a chance to do anything to this Ipa before the weekend. I was think of just transfering to another fermenter if compoleted by Saturday and bulk priming and bottling. What do you think??

never seen a reason to transfer a beer unless you want the added risk of infection or oxidization. Leave in the primary for up to 2 months and just drain into keg or bottles. I found bulk priming slower and more stuff to wash up so always just added the sugar to the bottle it takes heaps less time unless you drain the fermenter heaps fast and you will drain yeast with it.

Also Guys.

The brew is already down to 1.021 with the recipe target of 1.015 - 1.023 and its only Tusday. Normally I would rack my brews out before they are finally fermented but probably wont get a chance to do anything to this Ipa before the weekend. I was think of just transfering to another fermenter if compoleted by Saturday and bulk priming and bottling. What do you think??

Hi Rob,

I'd just leave it in the primary for another week and let the yeast clean things up.
No dramas :icon_cheers: .

Cheers,
Jake.

Back