Sparging Enquiry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knoxbrooke

Reaction score
Am using a refractometer during sparge process. Once I get my final reading of 2.56(brix), I stop my sparge. My question is, Once I have reached this point am I then able to drain the remaining liquid left from my mash tun into my boiler??

If you want, there is sugar in there, but it is just diluted. Unless you don't have room in your boiler I would do it.

Gents

If you want, there is sugar in there, but it is just diluted. Unless you don't have room in your boiler I would do it.

It depends on how fermentable you want the wort and how much you have already collected. If you want higher fermentability, I wouldn't add it.

Cheers
Pedro

Am using a refractometer during sparge process. Once I get my final reading of 2.56(brix), I stop my sparge. My question is, Once I have reached this point am I then able to drain the remaining liquid left from my mash tun into my boiler??
You stop the sparge at this point to control the pH and prevent tannins being leached into your wort. If you drain the mash tun, wouldn't this be the same as continuing the sparge?
You could note the volume in your kettle at this point of sparge and adjust the volume of sparge water accordingly, then you will have minimal water remaining in your mash tun.
You can then add water to the kettle from your HLT to get it up to pre boil volume.
Sometimes at the end of boil if my volume is a bit low, I add some water from the HLT to make up for losses. The water in the HLT is 80 degrees and hence will be essentially germ free, plus hasn't had all the oxygen removed from the boiling process.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Just as Beerfloral says

There is a gradient of gravity through your tun... the top bit being close to pure water, the bottom being pretty much whats coming out the tap.

If you drain your tun, you will be draining out the liquid that is higher up and therefore weaker, so you are in effect continuing your sparge beyond the point of gravity at which you decided to stop.

If you want less liquid in the tun at the end, just add only an amount of sparge water that will fill your kettle just before the tun runs dry.

What is the gravity of your wort in the kettle? Volume and Gravity in the kettle would be my first point of call personally.

Keep sparging till you get there or if finishing lower than anticipated, adjust hops etc accordingly.

2c. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back