Southern English Brown Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stueywhytcross

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am thining of putting down a southern english brown ale.
What kind of yeast would you recommend?, (i'd prefer dry however id be prepared to use liquid if needed.)

How does this recipe sound?

Style: Southern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.88 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 40.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 54.74 %
0.70 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 19.16 %
0.45 kg Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Sugar 12.41 %
0.30 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 8.21 %
0.20 kg Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 5.47 %
25.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (40 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU

Had you considered using English crystal and dark malts instead of the German varieties? They taste great and it might give you a more authentic flavour. Try Baird's medium crystal for the caramunich, Baird's pale crystal for the carahell and Baird's pale choc for the carafa. I'd reconsider how much you are adding of each too - 28% crystal malt is a hell of a lot for any style.

for yeast, I'll beat my regular drum and say 1275 thames valley :super:
reccomended for bitters, works great in milds, so should be good for a southern nancy brown.
BUGU looks fine, but slightly concerned on the amount of spec....carahell and carafa look ok (i'm no purist, i love the german caramel malts in my english), but think the caramunich might push it a bit far, making it a bit dextrinous. Personally, I would go with munich II in the same amount to boost the backbone of the aus base, and leave the other specs as are. And I'll leave off on criticism of brown sugar, or any sugar (or sugaz) for that matter.....

Whats your thoughts on mash, stu? 68ish single infusion?

Edit, goat beat me. Similar sentiment, just a bit more traditional.

for yeast, I'll beat my regular drum and say 1275 thames valley :super:
reccomended for bitters, works great in milds, so should be good for a southern nancy brown.
BUGU looks fine, but slightly concerned on the amount of spec....carahell and carafa look ok (i'm no purist, i love the german caramel malts in my english), but think the caramunich might push it a bit far, making it a bit dextrinous. Personally, I would go with munich II in the same amount to boost the backbone of the aus base, and leave the other specs as are. And I'll leave off on criticism of brown sugar, or any sugar (or sugaz) for that matter.....

Whats your thoughts on mash, stu? 68ish single infusion?

Edit, goat beat me. Similar sentiment, just a bit more traditional.
Cheers butters thanks for the advice. What do you recommend to get the color back up since im changing the caramunich to munichII? roast barley? or just up the carafa?
Yeah medium to full body single infusion.

Either swap out the carafa for some english choc, which is darker anyway, because if you add Roast barly, it will add astringency, so that negates the purpose of the de-husked carafa. My thought would be to up the carafa to 250g??ish / 7% /or 40ebc;whichever comes first. Just an opinion only, obviously.
personally I would mash at 68.
Hope that helps.

G'Day Stu

Made a Southern Brown not long ago, more in the line of a Manns Brown Ale. Used about 14% crystal (50/50 Pale and medium) Other than that fairly similar. Aimed at 1035 OG Mashed at 69/70 C for low attenuation. FG 1014 with Safale SO4 yeast. Safale did a good job. Came out pretty well - aiming at high taste, low alc beer. If anything needs to be a bit sweeter to come closer to Mann's. Next time I was going to up the crystal. Maybe somewhere between 14 and 28?

Good luck

Andrew
Collie WA

Back