Sources For Pots In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsomeguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Do the folks here have any sources for large SS/aluminium stock pots in Melbourne that aren't too expensive. I'm aware of G&G's kegs from europe that can be cut up but was wondering whether anyone in Melbourne had bought large pots from other palces and were happy.

Thanks,

jsg

I came across some pretty cheap large SS camping stock pots at Rays camping on Sydney Rd, Coburg. It didn't have any indication of litre/volume capacity on it but from my guestimation it was around 50ltr and only $40 - $50. The grade of SS I'm not sure either, the walls were a little thin but still appear adequate enough for brewing.

Would you accept aluminium pots? Head down to Victoria St/Parade in Abbotsford/Richmond... There is a long stretch of Vietnamese-run shops and plenty of them have 50ltr+ pots for basement prices.

I can't remember any street numbers or names (most are in Vietnamese!) but if you cross Hoddle Street (heading away from the city) and they are on your right... Hope that helps.

Hotel Agencies in Nicholson St. Fitzroy are pretty good.

Got my 80 Litre pot for around $140.

Warren -

just for the record warren - your 80L pot for $140 was al?

I got mine from these dudes here. http://www.madeforu.com.au/
They have since changed name and I'm not sure if the prices have changed.

In Clifton Hill.

Oh, and definately get at least an 80 litre one. I got a 60 litre and now I need a bigger one.

cheers
johnno

Would you accept aluminium pots? Head down to Victoria St/Parade in Abbotsford/Richmond... There is a long stretch of Vietnamese-run shops and plenty of them have 50ltr+ pots for basement prices.

I can't remember any street numbers or names (most are in Vietnamese!) but if you cross Hoddle Street (heading away from the city) and they are on your right... Hope that helps.

I'm not overly concerned about whether the pots are SS or aluminium. I've alreay got a SS keg I'm using as a boil kettle but am not sure whether to source another from a guy I know in the hotel industry or go for tha large pot.

It would also be a good reference for others in the Melbourne area to know where to start looking for this sort of equipment.

jsg

Decided to wander down to my local store over lunch
http://www.leeswarehouse.com/
Bay Rd, Highett

I saw their pile of alum stock pots last time I was there, thought i'd go back for a better look

stock_pots.jpg

Top to bottom of closest pile: 34L @ $79.50, 44L @ $89.50, 50L @ $99.50

Took my calipers with me, wall thickness is 2.5mm

bump

The place to get stainless stock pots in Melbourne is SPRINGVALE.

Behind the railway line in the asian arcades the 'variety hardware stores' have pots large enough to bathe in, anything from the cheapest thinnest SS through to robinox and similar.
I believe the 50L pots started at around $100

bump

Behind the railway line in the asian arcades the 'variety hardware stores' have pots large enough to bathe in, anything from the cheapest thinnest SS through to robinox and similar.

Thanks Chimera. I was thinking that Springvale might be an option. Lots of stuff on over the next two weekends so I'll have to wait a little while to check the places out you've found.

Thanks again !

jsg

bump

Also, Footscray has some of the same stores. I found my monster pot in one of those 'everything' discount asian type stores. They had a SS 90 litre marked down. :)
I'd looked in Victoria St Nth Richmond & found one discount cookware place too.

Yep, I wandered down to have a look. For those Melburnians not familiar with Springvale, there are three stainless steel pot vendors (that I saw) in the area bordered by the train line in the North, Windsor Ave in the South, St Johns Ave in the West and Buckingham Ave in the East.

There are three distinct quality levels for stainless steel pots, each with a different price.

Inside the Springvale shopping centre (between St Johns and Buckingham Aves) are the cheapest pots. They have sizes from 36l up to several hundred litres. The 50l pots (labelled '40cm') are $75 if I recall correctly. These pots are made from such thin steel that they are often not round (distorted into an oval shape at the top) and the bottoms need a ridge pressed into them to give them enough strength.

Some of the pots on show had cracks and scratches. The handles were roughly spot-welded on, and green corrosion (copper?) could be seen on the welds. Generally the workmanship looked poor, but what do you expect for that money?

The other two shops were closer to the train line. One shop had mid-range pots in various sizes, with 50l pots for $150. These pots had thicker steel and flat bottoms. The thickness was the same for the walls and the bottom. These were not heavy pots, but they were obviously better than the $75 version.

Workmanship was OK except for the rivets holding the handles on. They didn't go all the way through (only 3/4 of the rivet head made it through the wall) so they could be expected to fail sooner or later and would need to be re-riveted.

The last shop had the highest quality pots. A 50l pot was $220. These pots were heavy, marked 18/10 grade stainless steel and with thick bases. Workmanship looked flawless.

I have seen pots of this standard for $300 at catering suppliers, so their pricing is OK given the quality.

So there you go, you get what you pay for when shopping in Springvale! Thanks for the tip Chimera.

Seen a shop in Sydney Rd Coburg on Sunday

Aluminium Pots 4mm thick

60 litre $125.00
50 litre $120.00
32 litre $100.00

rook

I got my ~30L aluminium pot from Farham Bros in Port Melbourne for $60.

My 50Ltr Aluminium (with decent wall & base thickness) was $98 from a place on Victoria Street (Richmond). Lots of pots there (including Robinox etc).

The drilling was a dream and now it's all ready to rock, complete with ball valve and copper pickup. The siphon draws everything but the last drop from the pot and I have bent it slightly to fall just outside where I anticipate the trub to collect after a quick whirlpool.

I will post pics in the gallery when I get a chance.
Cheers

Forgot to mention - my current SS pot was picked up from the side of the road last hard rubbish.
At a guess I'd say about 15-20L capacity, reasonably thin sides & bottom but thick enough as long as you stir every so often. Has made brewing kits & partials a breeze.

Also picked up a complete fermenter and could have had a couple of hydrometers if I'd wanted them. Made me think - if you want to get into brewing on the cheap, find out who's doing hard rubbish

Back