So I Froze A Keg...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVOSTi

Reaction score
can i save it?

story is i got a new beer fridge off ebay. its a good size but the problem is its too cold. its an oldish frost free fridge and if i put a bottle too close to the plate at the back it freezes. i deal with this by not putting them too close and just letting them sit when i take them out so they arent too cold. but yesterday i open the fridge to see beer coming out of the relief valve on the keg. it was a keg i was storing while using the other one.
its sitting out of the fridge now, but can i still use it? is there anything i can do with the fridge short of getting another fridge mate?

cheers

I hope you can save it! I've got two frozen kegs sitting in the garage as we speak.

Mate, your beer will be fine.

Thaw, check carbonation and adjust accordingly.

Over xmas I did a double batch - kegged into 2 cornies - drank most of one and thought it was not cold enough so bumped the fridge up a little....

Next night - the half drunk one is frozen and the full one is not! So I turn the fridge back down, change to full unfrozen keg and thaw the frozen.

Not wanting to deal with it carry on and finish the second keg, over how ever long.. finally it runs dry.

So, in I go - re-connect the once frozen keg thinking it will be flat and have to carb etc...

Anyway, it pours perfect and was better tasting than the other, don't know if I was tripping but I swear it was better!!

So don't stress, it will be all good!!

And I am not a fridgey but I would invest in another fridgemate!

Good luck.

Cheers

yeah i probably wasnt clear on 'another' fridge mate what i meant was a second one. got one for the fermenting fridge but maybe i should get one to control the beer fridge cause its too cold.

so ill just carb the once frozen keg like normal and see how it goes when the other one is finished.

Heh funny this thread should be here. Just had a beer from my second keg of my "Pale Galaxy" (yes, lotsa Galaxy hops) which I managed to freeze and almost thaw out. Whilst the first one was bitter it was nowhere near as bitter as this one. I thought bitterness was supposed to fade over time but like I said this is even more bitter than the first. I should also point out that it is also still slightly frozen (I opened it to put more gelatine in it and noticed an iceberg) so I wonder if that affects the bitterness?

Anyways apart from the bitterness the beer is fine. It's sitting in the laundry sink thawing overnight so hopefully that fixes it - I have guests on Saturday and want it right!! :unsure:

Eisbock Eisbock Eisbock!

Nah, all should be fine. Just defrost and it will al be fine.

Back