Snake Wine - Not For The Squeamish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just got back from my latest China trip, where my hosts took to me to a downtown resteraunt (pet store) to try some of their rarer delicacies...

To drink I was offered 3 different snake wines - head, penis or gall bladder - The gall bladder one is just off the pic...

snake_bits.jpg

For the record I chose the penis...

The only dish I couldn't face was the snake delicacy below (gall bladder I'm guessing)...

Gall_bladder.jpg

I won't shock or offend anyone by showing the rest of the evenings delights!!! - But in best "Mythbusters" tradition I can confirm - Cat does NOT taste like Chicken...

I have been to China and their beer is ok <_< , could not come at any of the wines there, come to think of it, I don't drink it here, I did try some unusual foods after drinking the local beer. :beer:

That must have been an eye opening trip Ross. Jut out of curiosity, what did the Cat taste like?

I've heard that it is much tougher than dog.....

PhilS said:
That must have been an eye opening trip Ross. Jut out of curiosity, what did the Cat taste like?

I've heard that it is much tougher than dog.....
[post="84644"][/post]​

Sure is, it's tough & sour tasting - The big mistake I made was going into the kitchens first to see how they prepare things, the sights/smell etc were almost vomit inducing & there was the same taint in the meat, the skin was inedible in my book...

Ross ,

Is your stomach made from an old leather bag held together with copper rivets.

Pumpy

Saw plenty of snake wine in Vietname when I was there although didn't try it (just stuck to the local 15 cent per glass beer!!!). However I will add to the mythbusting by saying that while cat may not taste like chicken, dog definitely does taste like pork (at least when it's grilled!). Deep fried frogs aren't bad either (and rather chickeny!)

Back