Slimy mouthfeel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reardo

Reaction score
I kegged my Kolsch last night and tasted a sample. It had a slimy mouthfeel, which reminded me of a fat yak clone that i made 6 months ago. I think the reason for this is due to the final volume of the fat yak only being 19 litres rather than 23. This Kolsch was only 18 litres also.
Is there a way to change the 'texture' (wrong word) of this beer without ruining it? Can i add water to the keg or is that not advised?

Thanks,

troy.

Let it age mate. Or at least wait til it's been carbed up. Kolsch is generally lagered for a month. That might make it better.

Is it possible to be part of your cleaning procedure, eg chemicals? I've never tasted it nor do I want to but after cleaning with sodium percarbonate, it leaves a very slimy residue behind. Give it a good rinse through with hot water from the kettle and then some star san will neutralise it.

Thanks for that. Interesting read on Peddiococus. I dont think my beer is affected with it though. Had another taste last night and it didnt seem as bad as the first one. It's been carbonating for 37 hours now, so hopefully tonght it should be fully charged.

Peddiococus is starting to sound like the villain in a recent beer adventure of mine....!

Pediococcus (not damnosus) was the hero in a couple of recent fermentation adventures of mine...

Hi guys. I underestimated the Kolsch bigtime! It was the best ag beer I've done to date. Definitely will do again

Back