Simple Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil recommends a BU:GU of around 0.9, so assuming you're shooting for around 1.055, I'd say 50IBU would be fine. :huh: Just brewed a stout the other day and it was:

70% Pale
20% Flaked barley
10% RB

BU:GU of 0.9.

Tastes sensational, and as simple as you could get!

Yeah.. a bit misleading, I'll clear that up.

- Recultured Coopers Yeast
- Wheat malt included as per the recipe (someone on here supposedly got the specs at the coopers brewery tour)

yeah i saw that somewhere here too, thats the only reason i had it in there originally.

Recipe: Simple Stout
Brewer: Schooey
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 50.20 L
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 61.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.48 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
0.25 kg Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2.38 %
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1199.7 EBGrain 2.38 %
2.00 gm CaCo3 (Chalk) (Mash 90.0 min)
40.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Step Add 34.12 L of water at 73.4 C 68.0 C

Ferment at 17C.... Simple :beer:

You could use S-04 if you want, it is much maligned, but i don't mind it so much. just dont underpitch it; If it were me doing this recipe and using S-04, I would pitch 4 11g packets at as close to ferment temp as I could get... Hell you could even use US-05 and get a great tasting stout i bet your Grandpa loves

Thats an Old Ale not a Stout Schooey :ph34r:

yeah maybe.. but you'd be surprised at the stout mouthfeel with the warm mash and the malted oats... two things that aren't really typical of an Old Ale...

I backed the hops off because I got the inclination the OP didn't want too many IBU's. If it was my own personal choice, It'd probably be closer to 7%, 60 IBU, 10% + roast with a 6% sugar addition on day 2 and a blended liquid yeast... But that kinda takes the simple away...

Still bet the old fella would enjoy it though....

Flaked barley is a legal requirement in stouts or so i thought. Or flaked oats. :lol:

Not simple per se but Warren's 3 shades and 4 shades of stout never fail to put a smile on my dial.

I push them to OG 1.050 and 45 IBU. Never brewed any other stout after discovering these!

Cheers
DrSmurto

I've made some pretty good dry stouts lately. Single infusion, 80% pale, 10% roast barley, 10% flaked barley, ~ 35 IBU, Nottingham yeast.

I've made some pretty good dry stouts lately. Single infusion, 80% pale, 10% roast barley, 10% flaked barley, ~ 35 IBU, Nottingham yeast.

Funny how this thread went from 'simple' to 'complex' stouts in 2 pages! :p I'll try and keep mine simple.

From discussions ive had with warren, (and i agree) you need something to add complexity to that kind of grain bill to make it sing. Ive done it twice, with varying amounts of flaked and roast with varying results. Both beers where great dry stout quaffers, one being mildy roasty and the other balls to the wall roast but unfortunatly, lacking complexity.

I did one as 70% Pale, 20% Flaked, 10% Roast (was the balls to the wall coffee/roast one) and got nowhere in stout extravaganza as it was too 'plain jane'. All of the judges where looking for chocolate (even though its not a requriement of the style, its a 'may have') <_< but that kind of complexity is searched for by discerning palates, or so it seems (or a poor interpretation of the style guidelines).

My next attempt i think even a small addition of carafa would go well to add some layering to it. This beer also needs some 'smoothness' to it, Carafa would help accentuate this caracter to offest the mild acrid notes you can get from roast barley.

Something like this is what i'll be shooting for:

SG: 1.050
IBU: 35

70% Maris Otter
20% Flaked Barley
7% Roast Barley
3% Carafa Special II

EKG 35 IBU FWH Addition only

A high attenuative clean profield yeast, something english for the purists.
I might even try it with 1272 fermented lowwwww. :beerbang:

Funny how this thread went from 'simple' to 'complex' stouts in 2 pages! :p I'll try and keep mine simple.

From discussions ive had with warren, (and i agree) you need something to add complexity to that kind of grain bill to make it sing. Ive done it twice, with varying amounts of flaked and roast with varying results. Both beers where great dry stout quaffers, one being mildy roasty and the other balls to the wall roast but unfortunatly, lacking complexity.

I did one as 70% Pale, 20% Flaked, 10% Roast (was the balls to the wall coffee/roast one) and got nowhere in stout extravaganza as it was too 'plain jane'. All of the judges where looking for chocolate (even though its not a requriement of the style, its a 'may have') <_< but that kind of complexity is searched for by discerning palates, or so it seems (or a poor interpretation of the style guidelines).

Steam Exchange stout is my favourite stout. Not slap you around the face roast but oozing malt complexity.

According to that link it has 4 malts so not exactly the most compex malt bill going around. I have no idea what goes into it but to my untrained and uneducated palate it is similar to the version 4 shades of stout that i brew. I scored a few 6 packs of this beer last year for winning the stout section of ANAWBS with Warrens recipe. As you have noted, the judges were after more complexity in a dry stout.

Just my 2 c
Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. maybe Brother Stout aka Trough Lolly could give his thoughts on dry stouts.

EDIT - i have brewed the 'guinness grist' you listed a few times and found it lacking, hence my membership of the shades of stout fanclub!

Steam Exchange stout is my favourite stout. Not slap you around the face roast but oozing malt complexity.

According to that link it has 4 malts so not exactly the most compex malt bill going around. I have no idea what goes into it but to my untrained and uneducated palate it is similar to the version 4 shades of stout that i brew. I scored a few 6 packs of this beer last year for winning the stout section of ANAWBS with Warrens recipe. As you have noted, the judges were after more complexity in a dry stout.

Just my 2 c
Cheers
DrSmurto

How dows the steam exchange sit as a dry stout? I'd love to be able to whip out a version of the JS Craic they serve from the 'brewhouses' as a bog standard recipe i use for a dry stout. :icon_drool2:

How dows the steam exchange sit as a dry stout? I'd love to be able to whip out a version of the JS Craic they serve from the 'brewhouses' as a bog standard recipe i use for a dry stout. :icon_drool2:

I doubt Steam Exchange have set about to fit their stout into a BJCP category......

Its definitely not a FES or RIS and doesn't have a sweetness to it. Its definitely not a seppo stout.

They dont market it as an oatmeal stout.

So i guess that leaves a dry stout.

Whether it fits in there i dont know. I am yet to get to that category in the BJCP studies but will bring a bottle of that along when we do to see how it goes.

For me, its all about the malt in this stout. I find it very well balanced with layers of malt for want of a better description. Its not overly roasty but there is so much going on.

is coopers stout bottle conditioned?
if it is should i use recultured yeast in it?

Thanks,

Stewart

is coopers stout bottle conditioned?
if it is should i use recultured yeast in it?

Thanks,

Stewart

AFAIK Coopers use the same yeast in all their bottle-conditioned beers, so you should be able to culture it up. But that being the case I'd try to culture from the Mild or Pale, as the lower alcohol content might leave a healthier yeast.

My next attempt i think even a small addition of carafa would go well to add some layering to it. This beer also needs some 'smoothness' to it, Carafa would help accentuate this caracter to offest the mild acrid notes you can get from roast barley.

Something like this is what i'll be shooting for:

SG: 1.050
IBU: 35

70% Maris Otter
20% Flaked Barley
7% Roast Barley
3% Carafa Special II

EKG 35 IBU FWH Addition only

A high attenuative clean profield yeast, something english for the purists.
I might even try it with 1272 fermented lowwwww. :beerbang:

+1 I have brewed similar with good results. Nothing complex will work well

Hi all,

I'm farily new to this and I'm planning on brewing up a stout soon. I have a couple oquestions.

1 - do you add all the grain to mash? there are no grains steeped prior to the boil to add colour etc?
2 - what temp do you have your primary and your secondary at?
3 - are there any decent dried yeasts for stout?

Cheers

Colm

I mash spec and base grains together. The spec/roasted grains help drop the pH of the mash and the processes are so similar anyway that it just seems to make sense. I know other brewers add spec grains at different points but they can tell you about that.

My primary and secondary aim for the same as all my other ales - 18 -20 (sometimes gets to 22).

I have successfully used US-05 in a stout. S-04 could presumably be used with success. I'm sure there's others.

the mash temp will be important on a stout if you want body to you beer, I made a mistake with my 1st BIAB pale ale and mashed at 75c which stopped the FG from going past 1.022, but I learnt a valuable lesson for a future stout in that it gave the beer lots of body and a sweet flavour.

hey I was wondering....... is it done to use pilsner grain as a base malt for a stout?, or should a ale malt be used.

the mash temp will be important on a stout if you want body to you beer, I made a mistake with my 1st BIAB pale ale and mashed at 75c which stopped the FG from going past 1.022, but I learnt a valuable lesson for a future stout in that it gave the beer lots of body and a sweet flavour.

hey I was wondering....... is it done to use pilsner grain as a base malt for a stout?, or should a ale malt be used.

It shouldnt be a real issue. You will just end up with a sweet grainy malt base character, if its even detectable to your palate anyway with the amount of dark roasted malts you will be using. Traditionally you should go for something british e.g. Maris Otter but there is nothing wrong with using pilsner as a base in your stout. I'd sub in a little Brown malt to get some biscuit/nutty qualities. ;)

It shouldnt be a real issue. You will just end up with a sweet grainy malt base character, if its even detectable to your palate anyway with the amount of dark roasted malts you will be using. Traditionally you should go for something british e.g. Maris Otter but there is nothing wrong with using pilsner as a base in your stout. I'd sub in a little Brown malt to get some biscuit/nutty qualities. ;)

thanks, I might just give that a go then, I could hop it a bit to counter the sweetness if need be.
I know I have some chocolate and roast barley.........a few oats and I might have something.

Back