Simple rectangular cooler conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brand is the cooler? And how much did it cost ?

...and if you're doing a longer mash you could always add a little hot water part way through if you want to maintain a precise temperature.

cheers
reg

My esky is a Thermos one. Not sure of the size, or the cost, as it was a wedding present. It would hold probably a good 40 litres.
That is why I made the manifold so it can be removed and still used as an esky. SWMBO orders on that one.

Beers,
Doc

Used my esky mash/lauter tun last weekend.
I put a mesh bag over the manifold also to allow me to get clear runnings quicker. Worked wonderfully. Only had to recycle about 200 mls of the first runnings.
Here is a pic of the MLT with the mesh in place. You can just make out the shadow of the manifold through it.

Cheers,
Doc

TunMesh.jpg

hey doc
I was just reading about your mash tun/ esky arrangement.
Has it turned out o.k.?
Have you used it?
Would you change anything?
Thanks for the great pics thanks for the inspiration

Wow, a post from the past.

In short, still using the same arrangement. Works fantastic.

Longer version, still using the same manifold, same style mesh bag, and similar esky.
Burned through that particular esky (hell it was four years ago), but replaced with an esky the same size so the manifold fitted without any mods.
Same with the mesh bag, just had to replace with a new one. The old one was getting a bit mangy (in fact the current one is too, so time for another replacement).

Beers,
Doc

Yeah this post is pretty old.

But still good. I am scrounging for info to make a mash tun and get into the action myself.
your setup looks like something i would like to make.
did you make the mesh bag yourself?

I have some curtain mesh that looks similar maybe i could use that.

If your old esky burned ( melted?) through what brand did you replace it with?

The manifold looks great I want to make something similar.
And obviously stands up to the test of time. without requiring solder.
did your father-in-law use some sort of crimping tool for the joints?

Thanks for your quick response.
From Hoolio.

Hoolio, you should also consider using stainless steel braid, as that is quite easy to make into a manifold for an esky. Use the search function for threads & pics.

cheers

I am looking at upping my capacity and the chief operation will be turning my mash tun back into a drinks cooler and using my rectangular esky as the new mash tun.

A few questions regarding your setup Doc:

Do you batch or fly sparge? I currently have a round false bottom and can do either or a combination of both. But with a manifold like yours, I am thinking batch sparging might be the only option?

A few questions regarding your setup Doc:

Do you batch or fly sparge? I currently have a round false bottom and can do either or a combination of both. But with a manifold like yours, I am thinking batch sparging might be the only option?

A combination of both. I fill up the eksy and let it drain until it is about 1cm above the grain bed, then refil and completely drain (unless it is a really big beer and might have to fill again).
I drain at fly sparge speed (60min sparge). I find with this setup at batch sparge speed , the speed decreases the efficiency way too far

Latest posts

Back