Outer Mark Cooler Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
hey guys,

i got a little bit hasty and bought a cooler from bunnings (on special) that i was a little dubious about its conversion capabilities due to its drain size and the depth of the drain's recess on the inside. but it was a square, 60 L, marine grade cooler for $99. i had been looking at 50 L coolers but almost all i looked at were $130 and rectangular (not sure why, but i would prefer a square/deep MLT).

should've listened to my gut, as i am having problems fitting plumbing... has anyone converted an 'outer mark' 60 L cooler to a mash tun before? or is familiar with this model and has some suggestions? would love some help

I am sure it will end up being quite the tun mate... Don't stress it!

Does it have a drain bung? What size is the hole and thread? If you can tell....

I converted a 'Big Chilli' cooler, probably similar, and managed to use the existing drain/bung hole as the manifold outlet...

Just took some adapting:

DSC01884.JPG

Edit: Sorry, thats a bad pic but all I got!

i should mention that the size drain hole after the stock plug has been removed is very wide (maybe 2.5-2.8 cm) and on the inside the bottom of the coolers drain thread sits in a recess that is about 15 mm deep and has a diameter that is a little bit less than a 20 cent piece (sorry, my measuring tape is annoyingly absent at the moment).

Got a pic?

i don't have a phone to computer connection. if i take some with my phone and email them to myself, how do i go about uploading them?

i don't have a phone to computer connection. if i take some with my phone and email them to myself, how do i go about uploading them?

Hit reply, then hit choose file [BOTTOM RIGHT];

Screen_shot_2011_11_16_at_12.05.18_AM.png

Then upload.

Then wait, once here, choose the green plus!

Screen_shot_2011_11_16_at_12.07.11_AM.png

Cheers.

I am sure it will end up being quite the tun mate... Don't stress it!

Does it have a drain bung? What size is the hole and thread? If you can tell....

I converted a 'Big Chilli' cooler, probably similar, and managed to use the existing drain/bung hole as the manifold outlet...

Just took some adapting:

View attachment 50092

Edit: Sorry, thats a bad pic but all I got!

it does have a nice bung, but the problem is... with the recess on the inside, when i insert my 1/2 inch nipple the T i'm using on the insdide ends up about 5-6 cm from the bottom of the cooler.

wouldn't you know it... farking phone needsd a charge... i'll put 'em up when i can.

thanks for the advice guys

Latest posts

Back