Simple but good recipe wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodgett

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

wanting to order some ingredients for my dad for his bday, we are gonna do a brew day this weekend, I'm putting down a DSGA although hopped with cascade.

I was wanting to get a recipe for an amber, brown or red ale. preferably something that is single hopped (dont mind if its US or UK varieties)
more malt based, and doesnt have too many spec grains and also looking at a standard full strength abv.

can anyone help me out?

Cheers :)

Hey mate,

As we speak am drinking this ABA:

91.7% Maris otter floor malted
5.7% Dark crystal (TF UK)
1.2% Chocolate malt (TF UK)
1.2% Dark caramalt (TF UK)

Magnum (13%AA) 30g@ 60 (0.88g/L)
Pacifica (5.2%AA) 20g@15 (0.59g/L)
Motueka (7.5%AA)50g@5 (1.47g/L)
Pacifica (5.2%AA)40g@flameout (1.18g/L)

Yeast:Wyeast 1098

***Delicious beer, dump the crystal and just use the MO, caramalt and chocolate for colour adjustment.
choose your weapon for single hop, (Personally would go pacifica) but as this is essentially a ABA recipe the hops do kind of shine a bit, so would need to adjust for a malt forward drop.

Cheers

edit-forgot specs

Judanero said:
Hey mate,

As we speak am drinking this ABA:

91.7% Maris otter floor malted
5.7% Dark crystal (TF UK)
1.2% Chocolate malt (TF UK)
1.2% Dark caramalt (TF UK)

Magnum (13%AA) 30g@ 60 (0.88g/L)
Pacifica (5.2%AA) 20g@15 (0.59g/L)
Motueka (7.5%AA)50g@5 (1.47g/L)
Pacifica (5.2%AA)40g@flameout (1.18g/L)

Yeast:Wyeast 1098

***Delicious beer, dump the crystal and just use the MO, caramalt and chocolate for colour adjustment.
choose your weapon for single hop, (Personally would go pacifica) but as this is essentially a ABA recipe the hops do kind of shine a bit, so would need to adjust for a malt forward drop.

Cheers

edit-forgot specs

cheers mate, although my mistake, i forgot to add I'm brewing extract :(

LOL. Well you did post it in the right section of the forum. In case you are unsure, you can use beersmith to construct your recipe using all grain and choose an extract equivalent of the grain that you are asked to use in the recipe. It may help you to have a play in there and modify/convert a few recipes you like the look of. And just use the spec malts as you were. Regards David.

I brewed Tony's Monteith clone and it was a great beer, though something about pacific gem I didn't quite like - it was a bit funky. I stupidly put a minor dry hop with it (which didn't help) but it mellowed out great. I reckon I'd do it with Fuggles/Willamette/EKG/Styrians and it'd be fantastic, but this is speculation.

Its the Pacific Gem that makes the beer an origional ale like beer, but it would work well with EKG or Styrian Goldings aallanced beers well. You will just need to adjust the bittering amount to the hops AA%

Its just a nice dark ale your after and this will make you a nice ballanced easy to drink beer.

I can vouch for Tony's original ale recipe, i brewed it and was very happy with the result.

Must brew it again...

moodgett said:
cheers mate, although my mistake, i forgot to add I'm brewing extract :(
:lol: Haha sorry mate, no work today so I had enjoyed a few pints before posting recipe.. I should have noticed what section it was in ;)

Tony's recipe looks the goods!

Cheers

Judanero said:
:lol: Haha sorry mate, no work today so I had enjoyed a few pints before posting recipe.. I should have noticed what section it was in ;)

Tony's recipe looks the goods!

Cheers
no worries mate :) thanks for the recipe, i will definitely try to convert and give it a bash!

thanks everyone for your suggestions, when it comes to substituting the hops and adjusting due to AA, do i just find a hop with a similar profile and AA and use it?

Pretty much what I do, though I am more concerned with profile/characteristics and then just use beersmith (or brewbuilder via Marks home brew website) to hit IBU targets due to any difference in AA.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Back