Sillabub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
Occasionally while browsing around in Jane Austen or similar 18th century texts you'll come across a mention of sillabub. It's essentially a dish of cream that's been curdled by the addition of wine. According to Wikipedia it used to be made by milkmaids milking right over the top of a barrel of cider!

So anyway, now I am sharing the recipe with you. It's totes legit on this site because of the wine. Makes an ace summer dessert.

INGREDIENTS
300 mls cream
Grated rind/juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons of sugar
Splash of delicious homebrew wine

METHOD
1. Gently heat juice and rind of lime and sugar on stove, stirring with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in splash of wine, and place in fridge to cool down.
2. When the lime/sugar/wine mixture is almost cool, pour the cream into a bowl and whip it up until it is stiff and holds its shape when you remove the beater away from the cream.
3. Fold in lime/sugar/wine mixture into cream, then pour/spoon into individual glasses. Will fill six parsimonious wine glasses or four normal glasses or one hefty ale tankard if you want to be greedy and scoff the lot yourself :)
4. Add whatever you desire to give it more of a fruit-salady feel. Cherries, berries, fejoia petals, slices of apricots and pear.

NOTE: You may have leftover lime/sugar/wine mixture. You know what to do.

This is a modified version of a BBC site recipe I found which recommended using, I think, half a lemon.

Middle eastern syllabub is better imo. Nice spice hits to counter the richness of the cream.

I use nigellas turkish syllabub or variations of and its always a hit. Esp with good authentic turkish or greek coffee

12 tbsp Cointreau, (approx 175ml)
2 lemons, juice only
8 tbsp caster sugar, (approx 125g)
600 ml double cream,
2 tbsp rose water
2 tbsp orange flower water
2 tbsp pistachio nuts, finely chopped

1. Combine the Cointreau, lemon juice and sugar in a large bowl (I use the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer) and stir to dissolve the sugar, or as good as. 2. Slowly stir in the cream then get whisking. As I said, I use my freestanding mixer for this, but if you haven't got one, don't worry - but I would then advise a hand-held electric mixer. This takes ages to thicken and doing it by hand will drive you demented with tedium and impatience. Or it would me. 3. When the cream's fairly thick, but still not thick enough to hold its shape, dribble in the flower waters and then keep whisking until you have a creamy mixture that's light and airy but able to form soft peaks. I always think of syllabub as occupying some notional territory between solid and liquid; you're aiming, as you whisk, for what Jane Grigson called 'bulky whiteness'. Whatever: better slightly too runny than slightly too thick, so proceed carefully, but don't get anxious about it.

4. Spoon the syllabub in airy dollops into small glasses, letting the mixture billow up above the rim of the glass, and scatter finely chopped pistachios on top. In How to Eat, there's a recipe for pistachio crescents which would be fabulous dunked into and eaten with this. But only if you feel like it: the cool, fool-like smoothness of this is perfect as it is.

edit. The above recipe doesnt list cardomon but I put it in.

Absolutely great for summer as u said tim. Even if u serve a bowl of it instead of cream to have over berries or as a slant on traditional trifle or in a pav. Lots of ways to use it.

Its like I love havinf pav with lemon curd. Just love it.

I used rose water in whipped cream the other day, but stuffed if I could taste it.

I ended up adding half a bottle, there was aroma, but no flavour. I was expecting a Turkish delight rosewater flavour.

Pav with lemon curd, mmmmmmmm.....

I like to make icecream with egg yolks + sugar + cream. Make pav with the egg whites. Freeze icecream for a few hours and that night, put the two ingredients back together. Pav and anything cream is generally a brilliant combination because of the slight acidity of pav balanced out by the slight alkalinity of cream.

Mr Wibble, interesting. Maybe because rosewater is such a delicate flavour anyway? Or could be something in the cream (?) that offset the flavour? It's possible with the addition of an ingredient you might have been able to bring the flavour out too. Dunno, just speculating. It's a great idea, rosewater + cream. There must be some way to bring the flavour out.

The rosewater pretend essence from coles etc is crap. Get proper essence and youll know the difference. My missus makes her own skin products cause she gets lots of reactions from commercial stuff so we have lots of proper essences around that I can pinch when im cooking.

What do you think about rosewater in a brew? I'm thinking wine.

TimT said:
wheat beeer with rosewater ans petals. Like a hibiscus wheat. Very aromatic. Not a session beer but could be a very nice starter beer...

MMmm rosewater...

glassflask4.jpg

Before anyone gets their nickers in a twist this is a legal to posses and operate still under 5l capacity used for distilling an essence, not alcohol. In this case rosewater..

glassflask3.jpg

Repor....

punkin said:
Before anyone gets their nickers in a twist this is a legal to posses and operate still under 5l capacity used for distilling an essence, not alcohol. In this case rosewater..

Carry on...

TimT said:
I thought about it, and then went and picked a couple of kilos of wild rosehips, and made wine from that instead. ;)

Not a "rosewater" flavour per se (less delicate and not sickly sweet like the commercial stuff), but a nice gold coloured drop that definitely tastes like drinking roses. :icon_cheers:

I've got a mead with elderflowers and rose petals going at the moment. We made rose jelly last year - pectin from crab apples plus a cordial we made from sugar and rose petals (would have worked better if we hadn't put it in an old curry-paste jar - impossible to dislodge the flavour from them! still delicious though.) Roses, provided they're aromatic, are a beautiful cooking ingredient. Rounding off the subject.... definitely a few rosewater sillabub recipes out there.

I should probably tell you about my sloe gin too then.

Every year on the first of April I drag my wife out to the countryside and we pick bags of sloe berries.
The dog has a run around in the sun and all the cyclists look at us as if we're the odd ones.
Yeah, like you look good in that lycra. Keep peddling son.

The making of the sloe gin is easy. It's just an infusion at the end the of the day.

Fill a 1L bottle about 1/3 of the way with sloe berries.
Add as much sugar as you please, I find 1/3 to 1/2 cup is good for 1L.
Fill with gin. Don't use cheap gin either. Use what you would normally drink.
Turn it and shake it every few days for 2 weeks then let it sit for at least 3 months.
We have plenty so we still haven't opened this years batch.

On ice it is an amazing drink. Flavour-wise and visually.

Not For Horses said:
I should probably tell you about my sloe gin too then.

Every year on the first of April I drag my wife out to the countryside and we pick bags of sloe berries.
The dog has a run around in the sun and all the cyclists look at us as if we're the odd ones.
Yeah, like you look good in that lycra. Keep peddling son.

The making of the sloe gin is easy. It's just an infusion at the end the of the day.

Fill a 1L bottle about 1/3 of the way with sloe berries.
Add as much sugar as you please, I find 1/3 to 1/2 cup is good for 1L.
Fill with gin. Don't use cheap gin either. Use what you would normally drink.
Turn it and shake it every few days for 2 weeks then let it sit for at least 3 months.
We have plenty so we still haven't opened this years batch.

On ice it is an amazing drink. Flavour-wise and visually.
Ah, someone with access to sloes!!! I've been meaning to make patxaran (basque liqueur made from anís ainfused with sloes) for ages, but haven't been able to source the berries.

Also, in Autumn, Canberra is laden with hawberries (up and down Northbourne Avenue). After a moderately successful experiment with vodka last year, I'm planning to use them in a couple of brews.

Latest posts

Back