Sigh.. Infection I Think

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzRBenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just checked my Aust Pale Ale that has been in for about 2 weeks, and it appears to have become infected, Ive had a few issues with this one, high ferment temp, wine smell a bit.

But wanted to confirm if this one was lost, and what type of infection it is, and maybe what caused it.

infec.jpg

Hi all,

Just checked my Aust Pale Ale that has been in for about 2 weeks, and it appears to have become infected, Ive had a few issues with this one, high ferment temp, wine smell a bit.

But wanted to confirm if this one was lost, and what type of infection it is, and maybe what caused it.

infec.jpg

how does it taste and smell? have a taste and if it doesnt make you :icon_vomit: bottle it and see how it matures.. If it was fermented high it will have thrown off a few nasties which can get better with time, Take the lessons you have learned with this one and apply them to the next one and may all your brewing dreams come true :)

[edit] what sort of drum is that?

kinda looks jut like the krausen dropping the wine type smell may be from the high temps producing fuel alcohol and high level of esters.

Does it look skin like?

Cheers,

Is it definately an infection? just not sure if I should toss it, or bottle it

Taste it mate.

run off 100ml (roughly) and throw it away, and then run off 1/3 glass,(will be clearer) then smell and taste.. if you dont vomit on your shoes... bottle it :beer:

And for christ sake put the bloody lid back on :D

HAHA thanks for the replies,

Lid was only of for less than a sec to get the photo,

Anyway moved the beer into the kitchen so I could get a taste and reading.

SG is 1010, and boy I WILL NOT THROW THIS BEER AWAY. I could drink the whole thing now it tastes amazing.
no%20ifec.jpg

I grabbed a quick snap, it appears those clumps got split up during moving it, it did not splash it just rocked side to side.

I will prob cool this down for a few days and then bottle it, The Beer is crystal clear and TASTES amazing, thanks for the replies

I couldn't tell what part you were referring to as the infection, it looked fine to me.

I will prob cool this down for a few days and then bottle it, The Beer is crystal clear and TASTES amazing, thanks for the replies

just out of curiosity what temperature is it at?

Personally I would bottle it now, clean the fermenter and have another brew in by sunset :p

:beerbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear it tastes the part....

What was your fermentation temp??

Get it out of the kitchen.
You don't want the wild yeast floating around there from your fruit bowl having a go at your beer.

You don't want the wild yeast floating around there from your fruit bowl having a go at your beer.
As long as the kitchen's clean,and the fermenter is sealed,there shouldn't be any issue :icon_cheers: "wild yeasts" are everywhere,there's no mysterious barrier at a doorway. I live on an orchard with 120,000 fruit trees and never have any issues :beer:

Is that one of the new coopers tubs, how are they?

Ferment temp was 24c, and the temp is now 24c-26c

Hey there again...

I have to say, firstly, ignore the instructions supplied with your Kit.

It's pretty safe to say the 'winesque' aromas have been caused due to brewing at too high fermentation temperatures..

Generally speaking, for ales, going above the 21-22 mark is not ideal.. Remembering also that activity inside the fermentor will put the brewing wort at 1-2 degrees higher than the ambient air temperature.

Does not look like an infection... More like krausen dropping out, so in saying that, sounds like a top brew..

A bit of an experiment for next time, try doing the same brew... Exactly the same..

Only exception? Try to drop the fermentation temperature... There's dead set heaps of info here at AHB in achieving this... Trust me... Same brew, lower temp= cleaner results.

Hope this one turns out well! Sounds like it may very well...

Happy brewing!

Hound

If the brewin's done, there's nothing left for the wild yeast to chow down on!

Back